Friday, April 03, 2015

NO-GO: Traffic in Miami Dade County is Unbearable. By Geniusofdespair



Both of these Graphics are 4:30 PM on a Friday

I am almost never venture out in rush hour but this year I tack on an extra 1/2 hour to get anywhere during anytime of the day. And I mean 5 or 6 miles.

I started listening to classical music in the car to remain calm. While stopped I play Words with Friends on my phone. I suspect some of those friends cheat.

Last night there was construction on 95 and it took about an hour and a half to get home  from Coral Gables...a 45 minute ride usually. WHY WHY WHY do they do all the construction at the height of the season? I spent 4 hours in traffic all day yesterday and I doubt I drove more than 50 miles.  Do I go to Miami Beach anymore? No. Well, that is because of parking too. I go to Homestead on weekends only. I would never hit the shows at the Deering Estate - too long a drive with traffic. I only go as far as the Arsht Center and I won't go anymore once the Malaysian Resorts World development gets underway.  I can't wait till Wet Dream Miami starts development.

 I had a car in New York City and it was never as bad as here. Of course, I wasn't opposed to driving on the sidewalk. I did walk or take subways so it wasn't a problem getting anywhere. Tell us about your traffic woes. Are you becoming more of a no-go person because of the thought of traffic? Do you agree that traffic is worse than ever this year?

(Your Governor Scott just appointed Jose Pepe Cancio and Cliff Walter to the MDX Board. Jose Pepe Cancio owns a concrete company.)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it possible to plan out your route by boat? If so, there's hardly any speed limits on the open water. Hardly a police boat in sight.

By airboat, I've heard, you can get from SW 8th St to 595 in 15 minutes.

Wave runners are also a viable choice.

Anonymous said...

Only VIPs, with their paid toll lanes and ability to drop the keys with the valet, will deal with rush hour. However, trying to get out of the office building's parking gargage, before getting to the exclusive highway lanes, is becoming a hassle, so now it's everyone's issue.

Geniusofdespair said...

Don't tell me to ride a bike, I am going to get killed by some texting fool.

Anonymous said...

I live in West Miami and I'm no-go now to evening downtown events or civic meetings. I'm also no-go to Miami Beach. US1 is a gridlock trap most anytime now in either direction. I stick to Coral Gables and sometimes South Miami. There's also gridlock there at lunch and afternoon rush hour but at least my route is to a few streets. The more no-go people hurts business and attendance at civic and cultural events. It's just too much of a hassle and waste of time to leave your own neighborhood.

Anonymous said...

The least the County and cities of miami and miami beach could do is subsidize transit and increase options so we can take transit at cheaper rates. They owe us that after approving thousands of new condo and apt units everywhere clogging our communities with new residents. Where's the transit surcharge on developers?

Anonymous said...

I think you should cin the word nogo. That is what we all do at night. We stay in our own backyard.

Anonymous said...

Sorry i meant COIN THE WORD NO GO for all the people staying home because of traffic.

Grillo said...

I remember as a 7yr old in Cuba riding with my uncle in his car down the Prado Street by the Capitol. The traffic was horrific because the street was broken up by Public Works. My uncle was using choice words to my aunt's objections. He was sure that Public Works people had no parents, etc., etc. I am in my 70's and to this day, this incident comes to mind when I see the orange cones, stalled traffic, etc., etc.

David said...

I lived in Miami for over 20 years, leaving in 2011 for Tampa and ultimately Round Lake Beach, Illinois. I recently returned for a visit with my daughter on Miami Beach. I had a great week in Miami but was ready to leave based on traffic alone. I have mellowed with age but the horrible traffic at all times of the day & night coupled with the unique discourteousness and many times crazy behavior of Miami drivers had me raging 2-3 days into my vacation. It was with relief that we passed through Jupiter on our way north on I-95. I love Miami, but the traffic with the conduct of Miami drivers as the cherry on top makes me reluctant to return any time soon.

Anonymous said...

So today, a Friday, at 1:15 pm on I-95. It's the beginning of Easter / Passover weekend. There's no school today. So, why should I-95 be congested to the point of stoppage? The two pay lanes are part of the problem creating narrowing of the major north/south artery.

Yet, even if public transit were free, would I wear my heels, jewelry and go for an prciey evening on the town? Hardly!

Anonymous said...

I suffered Miami X-Way traffic for most of my life. Trust me, it's a walk in the park compared to LA freeways. Been here a while and I'm still afraid to drive the 405. It reminds me of that movie Mad Max. BTW Cliff Walters, (husband of Wansley Walters, former Sec for FLA DJJappointed by Scott), was also a long time County public works employee who left and became a lobbyist. Jose and Cliff are just the guys we need on the MDX Board to keep everything up and up...NOT.

Anonymous said...

Why aren't we yelling and screaming loudly Dade County to become a "NO GROWTH County"---Talk it up everybody.
Come visit and don't stay.

Anonymous said...

Oy -- are you right! Living in the north side of the county we never ever ever try to go to Deering for a concert, are beginning to avoid Coral Gables and Aventura? forget about it! I bugs me that so much work is going into the "Lexus Lanes" and so little into realistic transit alternatives. Oh well ---

Tom Morris said...

Easter Sunday night I spent about four hours stuck in traffic. FDOT *really* took great effort to ensure you were NOT getting anywhere that night without using 95 Express or the Turnpike. There were DOZENS of road closures.

Anonymous said...

You guys have the BEST blog in town! Keep up the good work!