Sunday, December 29, 2013

The Waffle Caper. By Geniusofdespair


I went to the Thomas Edison Museum/home and I saw a waffle maker. I assumed Thomas Edison invented the waffle iron and was very impressed.

This morning in my hotel I got a hankering for a waffle. Apparently the waffle makers weren't heated up enough so the waffle batter got stuck to the waffle makers. I watched the whole scenario as they tried to get the waffle mixture off the waffle makers. I said to myself I don't think I'm going to a get the waffle I craved, and I had cereal instead.

Next thing I knew the waffle irons were fixed and everyone was eating waffles. I made one for myself and commented to an Italian woman on line for waffles that Thomas Edison had invented the waffle iron. She said that's not true, the waffle irons have been around forever. I looked it up and she was right 13th or 14th-century. Mortified? Yes but I was not ready to give up my wrong information.

The correction is: The waffle iron was not invented in 1911 by Thomas Edison. The electric waffle iron was invented then by him.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, like the syrup on my fingers.

IPhone sorry for mistakes.

16 comments:

Geniusofdespair said...

Did you know that Thomas Edison was 90 deaf by the time he was 30?

youbetcha' said...

Nah, Gen, he wasn't deaf, just married. LOL.

Anonymous said...

I can understand him inventing the phonograph being deaf but how did he invent the waffle iron? A miracle!

Geniusofdespair said...

I forgot to write percent. 90% deaf

WOOF said...

Italians invented everything and served each with roasted peppers.
You apologized to the woman ?

Geniusofdespair said...

Why apologize she wasn't Belgian?

Anonymous said...

Enjoying Fort Myers?

Geniusofdespair said...

Just left Ave Maria, we got turned around on Annunciation Boulevard.

Science Teacher said...

First, I doubt Thomas Edison actually invented anything, including the electric waffle iron. He had a team of scientists working for him (such as Nikola Tesla) and he took credit for their discoveries. Edison also stole the work of others who didn't work for him and claimed their work product as his own. Because you were confused, I would not be surprised if Edison was trying to take credit for inventing all waffle irons.

Edison was also one of the biggest assholes in history. He was so jealous of his talented ex-employee Tesla, he would publicly electrocute dogs and horses to demonize Tesla's invention of alternating current. Edison even went so far as to electrocute a beloved elephant at a zoo. He was a dick of the highest order.

http://www.somethingawful.com/news/edison-jerk-elephant/

Geniusofdespair said...

are you the same "science teacher" that argues against global warming and climate change?

Science Teacher said...

One and the same. There has been no global warming in 17 years. Climate change is natural and is always occurring.

Audubon park said...

Science teacher: Maybe she is lynda bell .... She spoke about as passionately about Audubon and how awful he was, killing birds.

Geniusofdespair said...

Science Teacher:

What do you know about waffles?

Science Teacher said...

G.O.D. I am an expert on science. I don't care about waffles, although I am sure I know more about them than most.

Not sure what Bell said about Audubon, but if she said Audubon was big on hunting and that he shot and killed every bird he painted, she would be correct.

Geniusofdespair said...

You know Science Teacher, you should worry more about waffles and less about Science. You would be more fun to be around. The children in the motels in the morning will give free demonstrations on how to make them. They are very knowledgeable on waffle making because they are hungry.

Prem said...

i've got to chime in because you're discrediting the science teacher for a topic unrelated to the one at hand.
Not believing in anthropogenic climate change is something to tear apart in a post about climate change, but this is a post about inventions and Edison.

Edison is a famous historical crook. ONE example of his unethical behavior included taking the film "trip to the moon," pirating it, and making tons of money even though he didn't make the movie, nor did he have any licensing permission from the copyright holder.
Edison, without a doubt, was one of the first patent trolls, if not the first. He hired lots of intelligent engineers to work on inventions, or reverse engineer other people's inventions.
He was certainly a smart man, but searching google for "thomas edison steal" will quickly grant you a lot of information about how he got his fame and money.