I disagree with the Miami Herald's assessment on 2 of them (in the paper this morning).
What we agree on:
1. Home Rule Charter Amendment Relating to Term Limits of County Commissioners
2. Technical Amendments to Home Rule Charter
3. Charter Amendment Requiring Extraordinary Vote to Include Additional Land within the Urban Development Boundary
4. Charter Amendment Pertaining to Changes in Municipal Boundaries and Creation of New Municipalities
Vote: Herald says NO, I have no opinion.
7. Charter Amendment to put the Commission Chair in charge of procurement if the mayor has a conflict of interest. Vote: NO
The Miami Herald said Yes on these I say No:
5. Charter Amendment Regarding Penalties and Enforcement of Citizens’ Bill of Rights
Shall the Charter be amended to eliminate the provision providing for forfeiture of office if a public official or employee willfully violates the Citizens’ Bill of Rights and allow, in addition to suit in circuit court, the Commission on Ethics and Public Trust to enforce the Citizens’ Bill of Rights with penalties authorized by the Code?
Why on earth would we want to eliminate what I underlined. I do not understand why anyone would would not want to get rid of an official or employee who violates the Citizen's Bill of Rights. Maybe I am missing something. This is a 2 part question with one part being unacceptable.
6. Charter Amendment Related to Option for Filling Mayoral or County Commissioner Vacancy
Shall the Charter be amended to:
• Extend the time to conduct an election to fill a mayoral or commissioner vacancy from 45 to 90 days from the decision to call such election and provide a timeframe for qualification and any necessary runoff;
• Temporarily transfer, during a mayoral vacancy or incapacity, certain mayoral powers to the Commission Chairperson, Vice Chairperson or Commissioner chosen by the Board?
Another 2 part question with the first part being unacceptable. I do not believe we want the Commission Chairperson to be our mayor for 3 months. The Chair can do damage in 3 months. We did not ALL vote for the Chair, only one of 13 districts did. Too long for him/her to be acting Mayor. Also the extended time frame hurts because people's memories are short. Seijas might still be in office if this were 90 days (if you are recalled you can run again).
To recap on other questions on the ballot:
Again, we should all know to vote NO on ALL the State of Florida Constitutional Amendments. The Miami Herald and The League of Women Voters agree with me on this one.
Vote YES on the retention of the 3 Supreme Court Judges.