Monday, January 17, 2011

The Golden Globes 2011: My Botox'd Generation ... by gimleteye

The comedian Ricky Gervais muddled through his range on the Golden Globes last night. Humor made him rich beyond his dreams. He made me fall off my chair laughing when I was a young man with the original, British "The Office". That was a few Golden Globes ago. But who is counting? Annual televised award shows are part of the public, critical disarmament. From our living room couches, we bond with stars who also laugh, admire or regret or are disappointed by the results of life.

Our reward are the odd moments of dissonance. For example, those off-the-cuff instants we discover that many stars, without scripts, are empty pages. But where Hollywood really swerves from the rest of the world, is the determined effort of stars to deploy cosmetic surgery. And boy, was that not working last night. I vote for a billboard at the private jet terminal at LAX: Cosmetic Surgery SUX.

The camera is not kind to age, if all age can do is feign to be young. Isn't there someone to advise the stars after morning coffee and before dressing, cosmetic surgery robs the face of emotion and grace? With age, our idea of beauty expands. We do not expect the movie stars who reflected our own hormonal youth to be cardboard figures in middle or old age. One cannot predict when the next batch of Botox or next pinch here or there or next hair clump inserted is simply going to amplify one's age. Last night, too many middle aged stars, former objects of desire, looked awful. (Memo to Robert Downey Jr.: Stop it, right now!)

Michelle Pfiefer, Cher, Jane Fonda: O What Have You Done With Your Faces? Breathe in, breathe out: you cannot beat gravity. Then, Sylvester Stallone; a living museum of himself. The New Walk of the Stars is marked by pen dots of a cosmetic surgeon. Under these circumstances, the camera caught Matt Damon with a certain admiration for Jeff Bridges, untamed by demon surgery. British actress Helen Mirren won the evening when she noted impulsively from the microphone, how many beautiful women there were in the audience. In her lined face, you knew what she meant.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

a splash of cold water, eh?

try watching dick clark on New Year's Eve...

Anonymous said...

I can't even look at Meg Ryan anymore.

Gimleteye said...

I know. It is such a shame.

Anonymous said...

Great observations. I really tried to watch this last night, but turned the channel by the time the first award was handed out.

It almost makes me want to watch real people on You Tube than pay these people another dime through the ticket sales.

I do like some of the actors, but from what I read this morning, none of the one's I liked won, so maybe I'm just not in line with the Foreign Press (and please don't get mad, but I'm also not a citizen of the World - I'm a proud US citizen). Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails Fame did make me smile though.

As for the best and worst dressed, I would ask, who has the best plastic surgeon instead.

florida wedding destinations said...

I agree with how you have described aging hollywood...another thing I was thinking, is there are so many "celebrities" out there now that I don't have a clue who most of them are, and I just don't seem to care either...is it just me, or does anyone else feel that way? I guess nowadays, people in general can get famous for the stupidist and non deserving of reasons, I suppose I have just lost interest and tend to tune it all out!!