Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Media Message is More Like a Massage. By Geniusofdespair

Have you noticed how all the TV stations and newspapers shift together in unison. This “Green phase”, the “Lets go to war mantra” of a few years ago and now, finally, they are on “Hillary is a goner” this morning. Not that I am saying I want Hillary to go, I just want this Democratic primary to be over and apparently the media agrees. I think you will see the end of this primary pretty soon. But this Reverend stuff will play a big part in the Presidential Election and I think it might be a bonanza for me: I bet $10 on McCain to win.

The media plants seeds and little by little they take hold. They report over and over about a subject, from every angle, like the "green stuff" now until we buy into it. I know that I never agreed with the war but somehow the embedded journalists took us for a ride, The media fired up the dumb Americans, and the ever dumber Congress, into a war frenzy until the media got bored with reporting it. I feel manipulated...but at least I am aware that it was happening. Are you?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember the media exists because big advertisers but ads. Therefore the media over the last twenty years has become a spokesman for the very rich who own the large corporations. The media would not dare pronounce the truth that would hurt the big guys because then they might lose the ads.
I believe that CNN still has some decency and promotes the truth.No other media outlet can be believed.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of boring the shit out of everybody, may I pedantically mention that the title of Marshall McCluhan's famous book is in fact "The Medium is the Massage," not "Message," as it has been mistakenly identified for almost half a century?

Geniusofdespair said...

Now how did I just happen upon the same conclusion not having read McLuhan? It must be pretty obvious because I don't fall into profound thought.

Anonymous said...

Observing them during the process has been quite interesting. For weeks, every cable station was beating us over the head day after day about voting for Hillary, what Hillary needed do to win, how Obama was a bad choice and on and on. I was beginning to think that they should be a part of Hillary's FEC report. Ironically, in the midst of all of this free marketing, the Clintons would say that the media was for Obama. But cable news made a killing off of this primary.

I am sick of the race now. And Hillary needs to "woman up" and get out so we can get ready for the general election.

I certainly hope that lot of discussion is not given to changing the rules for the "bad boy" states who knowingly violated the rules and knew the consequences. The 48 "good boy" states who followed the rules are certainly watching the party.