Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Pip Pip to London, Back in Town. By Geniusofdespair

What can I say about London, besides getting food poisoning and seeing the prime meridian? The scaffolding was grand. I mean that in a good way.


Because I am such an observer of things utterly useless I looked up and said to myself, "Hey man that is some major over the top scaffolding." I asked the construction manager on the ground: "What gives with all that scaffolding"?

No blasting..... not like here is the States where they implode old buildings to make way for the new.

In the heart of London because they are near so many government buildings and really old buildings, they must demolish buildings piece by piece.

On this particular building they have until the end of next month to complete the scaffolding around it according to a contract with a Sheikh in Abu Dhabi. When they are done with the over abundance of scaffolding, they will put sheathing on the scaffolding exterior and work the demolition of this, the entire Scotland Yard building, also infested with asbestos. They don't want 60's or 70's architecture around anymore anyway. The Sheikh is putting up dozen of luxury condos on this site and Scotland Yard is moving back to its original address.

Hurry, hurry, they have a tight schedule to finish the scaffolding! The building in the background is slated for demolition too.
This is a different building:

It looks old, I doubt they are knocking it down, but I was in a car and it was Christmas day so there was no construction manager to question.

The Building in the background, that is what they seem to want to get rid of in London.
.
I thought this devotion to considerate construction commendable (I saved it very large so if you hit on it you can really see some great intentions):

Note the red X, don't do this. And the green check: do this instead. Note the absence of cars and nukes in the "to do" side.
They appear to like scaffolding so much, they even design their buildings to mimic it.

 Where I spent most of my trip, when I wasn't out looking at construction,  thank you London Chinatown:


What else can I say about London? Clear soup is hard to find. They close the tube (subway) on Christmas day.  Londoner's are funny when you ask them directions, if it it is a 10 minute walk they say, "Oh, that is too far, take the tube."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It must have a much higher cost to dismantle piece by piece, but more can be recycled. What was the name of your tour? Scaffolding unlimited?

Geniusofdespair said...

The Tour for Builders and Contractors was the official name.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear you were ill but the scaffolding is something I never knew about London. I would say fascinating but I really don't care about it.

Anonymous said...

Enclosing buildings scheduled for renovation with scaffolding and dust wrap is standard practice in the old world.

As opposed in Miami, where the "Bank Building" was opened up, the whole interior sand blasted to get rid of all the bird poop, and a huuuuuuuge dust and poop cloud engulfing the whole next block, including a McDonald right across the street.
Bonn apetit.