Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Anger Management: None Here. By Geniusofdespair

Keeping track of a blog, 2 Facebook pages, a Twitter account, 5 email accounts (and not knowing half the passwords when I want to post) is a frustrating daily ritual for someone technologically challenged.  I can remember a Financial Disclosure Form Donation but not a password (in 3 minutes it is forgotten).  I can't work the phone, all my apps were downloaded with a few different passwords and when I enter my information to change the password, the mobile doesn't recognize any of it.  My computer is a mess, operating at a snail's pace. So I am super frustrated with technology. All of it! Even my car is a challenge, it beeps all the time and changes screens at will. I tried to adjust the mirror and got emergency response that asked me for a password to cancel.

Yesterday, I went to use the bike in our health club to unwind (a high technology bike I can hardly manage it has so many 'enter' buttons). The TV is very hard to work as the last person in the room presses all the buttons and nothing works right. After dealing with the TV and the bike, I tried to set the temperature in the room to cool it from 84 degrees but it has all kinds of extra buttons (6 or 7 of them) so I couldn't just set a cool temperature. There are timers and what have you. It was hot. I was cranky. I had to reset the bike every time I got up to fix the TV and thermostat (that wouldn't kick in). What else could I do...I ripped the damn thermostat off of the wall and left.

It felt good...too good.

My lesser (angry) half saw the thermostat and went ballistic. Really, who could get mad at a spouse for brutalizing a thermostat? Well, we are still not talking.

The thermostat is a symptom of so much more: It represents everything that is wrong in our society even Donal Trump running for president. I plead the 5th.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Start with a system that is in place to streamline everything by getting rid of the different pswds. Stick to one for everything - one really hard one.

Anonymous said...

Try Hoot suite - Manage Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and more from one dashboard.

Geniusofdespair said...

Will it put the thermostat back on the wall?

Anonymous said...

No but it will be a calming influence to keep you from getting into an auto accident out of frustration and rage.

Geniusofdespair said...

I play classical music for that. As long as I have relatives I can never get calm.

homestead sis said...

I can send my son. He replaces my thermostats every time I can't figure them out. We are back to the rectangular box that has the slidey thing. No more Nest. No more computer chipped anything stuck to my walls.

I truly get it.

Anonymous said...

Bob says that your workouts are working if you can rip off the thermostat.

Anonymous said...

Moore's axiom
The intellect required to operate any transistorize device doubles yearly relative to the age of the operator.

Geniusofdespair said...

Are you calling me old? How many email accounts and blogs and YouTube accounts do you have to contend with?

Anonymous said...

Technology. Remember when we thought it was good for us?
I have had a Facebook account since the early days and still have only two friends-by choice.
I rarely text but do use my smartphone more than I should.
I am learning that I can take tech free days and no one dies from neglect.
If I don't answer my phone leave a message.
You CAN live without all this stuff.

cyndi said...

OK First of all we all bad days. I haven't asked any of my astrological friends but it feels like the universe is all screwed up. Somedays I leave my house with two computers, an iphone, my nurses bag and a purse. Before computers I could spend time being a nurse. Now I spend at least fifteen minutes trying to get my hotspot to work. I had the same job in 90's. It was easy. You grabbed your bag with stethoscope, bp cuff, watch, thermometers gloves you saw a patient. You wrote half at the patients house finished the rest when you got home.
What I do with my passwords is when I create one I email it myself and I keep it a folder on my phone call passwords. I use pw. So when you to search you just in pw and all passwords show up.