|Paris Air Show|
Bad Ideas never die in Miami. Does Mayor Gimenez truly want to put this international air show, every other year, at the landing strip in the Everglades? Why not? All those corporate giants would love to stay in tents and get eaten by mosquitoes (summer in the Everglades remember). I am told he has feelers out.
The Secretary of defense nixed the Homestead base for an air show and Homestead also doesn't offer the amenities rich corporate types want. Actually Fort Lauderdale Airport would be perfect for an Air Show.
Truth be told (on this blog?) Jack Ostetholt first came to Florida to develop the Everglades airstrip as a commercial airport. How long has he been in Florida?
These are the reasons this idea is a colossal mistake and a stupid idea:
1) Environment - No brainer.
2) Too far from hotels in Miami Beach and Miami and this strip is partly in Collier county. The industry felt Homestead would be a hard sell as they felt it was too far from Miami And the beach where aviation executives would want to stay and entertain their clients. So this strip would be an even harder sell.
3) Infrastructure - The glades site has poor access roads and no aprons for aircraft, nor restrooms and other facilities to service at least 50,000 people (Paris has over 100,000 who attend). Porta Potties?
Also the landing strip does not have the electric power required (they would need generators water, sewers, etc. All would need to be trucked in or built. )
4) Only touch and goes are done at site now.
5) Did I mention mosquitoes? Millions of them the end of June. Can you see everyone baking in the sun with mosquitoes swarming?
Mayor Carlos Gimenez also wanted to use Opa Locka airport but the runway is not adequate and it is adjacent to heavily populated areas (there are accidents at times at these shows).
Does he really want an airshow or is this an excuse for yet another trip to Paris? Pack those berets, here comes the Miami Delegation.