Saturday, May 12, 2012

HBO "Girls": another glowing shout-out ... by gimleteye

Even before HBO's "True Blood" restarted last summer I felt the network was caught in a lull. I was OK with "Hung". Loved "Bored to Death". But there was nothing to TIVO from HBO! Anyhow the cable network is back big-time. Loved "Luck". Sad to see it go. Big fan of "Eastbound and Down" and the short season of "Life's Too Short", then "Girls" arrived in time to rescue my scheduled recordings list from oblivion.

Boy am I a fan of what Lena Dunham has done.

This 26 year old writer and actor has stripped every bit of contrived, false modesty of young adulthood from both the girls and boys at the edge of full blown maturity (whatever!). She's also managed to take the stuffings of the Culture Wars (abortion, pre-marital sex, smoking pot, personal responsibility) and sacked them like a piƱata. What a joy to see the bits and pieces scattered on the floor! (The acting is phenomenal and there is one girl -- the Perpetual Virgin -- who I swear must have been raised in Miami.) Part of me cringes when a writer this good emerges at such a young age. What to advise, to protect her talent? I want Dunham for the long haul. In the meantime, Don't Miss "Girls"!

No comments: