Monday, August 22, 2011

You Can Now Check The Checks. By Geniusofdespair

Mayor Gimenez has launched the new County Financial Transparency website as part of his campaign promises. The component I like is the online checkbook where you can enter in a name or entity and all the checks written to that person/corporation will show up. Not salary checks, I entered some friends names and didn't get any salaries.

I looked up 2 years for County Commissioner Barbara Jordan. She got one check for $88. I don't know what she got it for because they give a disbursement number and I haven't figured out where to get the info on disbursement numbers yet. During the same period County Commissioner Sally Heyman (see graphic) had 64 checks written to her that add up to quite a chunk of change. She had one check written 11/03/2009 for $20,400. What for? I just ran her from July 29, 2006 to July 29, 2009 and got 107 checks written to her. One check was for $28,353.86 written 12/18/2007. Rebeca Sosa and Barbara Jordan during the same period had no checks written to them.


I just got word of this new site on 8/19. I have to do some research on it. There are some problems for us, for instance, there are no records for "Joe" Martinez for the same two year period but there are 9 for "Jose" Martinez. However, there is bound to be more than one Jose Martinez working for the County. I picked Sally Heyman, Rebeca Sosa and Barbara Jordan because I know there are only one of each name working for the county. I just ran Rebeca Sosa for two years...nada.

I like this website a lot but there needs to be a column on what the check was for or you have to be able to hit on the item to see why the check was written.

I am curious now, on why Sally got so many checks. Dorrin Rolle, one to take advantage, only got 5 checks between Dec. 29, 2007 and Dec. 29, 2009 and his largest check was for $1,449.25. Carlos Gimenez (I am assuming it is the County Commissioner) got 2 checks, one for $240 on 11/4/2008 and the other for $1,220 on 7/8/2008.

Song Lyrics for today: I think I'm gonna be sad, I think it's today yeah.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Remember, these are not paychecks. They are probably some form of reimbursement.

Anonymous said...

This is a good start. But I'm also waiting for Gimenez to post all employee salaries like he promised.

Geniusofdespair said...

You can get the salaries on datasleuth. Old, 2008, but they are there.

http://www.miamifly.net/watchdog/datasleuth/db/employee/

Anonymous said...

2008 salaries? That's pretty lame. They are a matter of public record and we should have current data. Gimenez promised to publish them and I am waiting.

ernesto said...

i'm waiting to see how much al cardenas' fringe, crusading anti-gay wife raises for gimenez's re-election.

Anonymous said...

Commissioners often seek reimbursement for expenditures that should be paid from their $2,000 a month expense accounts. If you buy a table at a democratic party or christian coalition event, the county should not reimburse you - that's why you have an expense account.

Anonymous said...

WOW! I cannot imagine these large amounts of money was just written and given to any official without who the money was given and how the money would be used and what for? This unbelievable by any standard.