Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Claudio Osorio Moment ... by gimleteye

I am entranced by the freak show of politicians, sports stars and entertainment personalities regularly snagged by con artists posing as "international business tycoons". I suppose this has gone on from time immemorial, whenever and wherever influence peddling was held to be a treasured and socially accepted norm. The Herald is filled with stories about the latest, Claudio and Amarilis Osorio, who I had never heard of until the story broke of investors bilked and presidents caught in photos. There are many moments of recognition within the Herald story, like Chris Korge-- a top Democrat bundler and lobbyist-- bringing in Rodney Barreto-- a top Republican bundler and lobbyist-- and both were fleeced of millions. Those millions were scooped from various legitimate enterprises, including a business well documented on EOM: the use of Miami International Airport as a tool for political patronage and private gain. Then I thought again.

I have my very own Claudio Osorio moment. It was at an Alex Sink fundraiser at Osorio's Miami Beach home in 2009. Don't let me tell you how I feel about giving over hard earned contributions to Alex Sink. I had never heard of Osorio but had a very brief moment before the festivities started. We exchanged pleasantries and when he answered my question politely, he said he was in the business of "international remittances". In retrospect, it was an honest answer!

1 comment:

P. Nis said...

I get infinite pleasure from knowing that Korge and his boy Rodney got scammed out of millions.