Monday, June 21, 2010

Lawton "Bud" Chiles message resonates with me. by Geniusofdespair

The only candidate for Governor so far, to have a message that resonates with me is Lawton "Bud" Chiles. In the Miami Herald reporter Steve Bousquet wrote:

Chiles, said (the) system has been hijacked by overly partisan politicians beholden to special interests instead of the people. It was the same message his father delivered as he walked to victory as a U.S. senate candidate 40 years ago. The younger Chiles said tax dollars would best be spent by local communities, not by Tallahassee bureaucrats.

"Political parties that used to be about ideals are now about power and control, and people are sick and tired of the head-pounding,This partisan fighting that's going on in Tallahassee is not adding one job."
'

Alex Sink, in contrast, said: ``I will be the first governor in 12 years whose own children graduated from Florida public schools,''

Don't care. She got closer to something I care about with this:

She said Florida should be No. 1 in solar and renewable energy, and she called it ``criminal' that 800,000 Florida kids remain uninsured despite the work by her and others to expand a state-run health insurance program.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that its important that people in charge of our public schools actually send their children there. You will never find a Bush child in the public school system, yet they posed as public education reformers while millions went out the back door to corporations in terms of curriculum, testing, scholarships, student loans, computer programs etc. As every parent knows, the FCAT wastes valuable learning time, and we need someone who understands that.

Now the school system is in total chaos because the FCAT scores are late. The tail does wag the dog.

The other M

Anonymous said...

Seriously, a vote for Bud Chiles is a vote for Bill McCollum.

Anyone who thinks voting is about being pure should remember those idiots who voted for Nader and thereby elected George Bush.

The world was permanently harmed because of the false "idealism" of those dummies.

Progressive need to get real. You future depends upon it.

Geniusofdespair said...

I said his message was good, didn't say I would vote for him.

Anonymous said...

Sorry. I did not mean to over-react.

But I feel the progressive elements of our society are few enough as it is. If we then divide our votes, the forces of reaction will take political power.

It makes me heartsick.

I really admired and respected Gov. Chiles. But his son has no possible role in this election except as a spoiler. This scares me because we saw in the Nader/Bush situation, the terrible harm that the "innocent," "little," "idealist" and egotistic spoiler can do.

Of course, if a person voted for Nader and was glad that they helped elect Bush (maybe to teach the rest of us a lesson?, my analysis does not apply.

Geniusofdespair said...

You didn't over-react. In fact, I need your feedback on my strategy musing in my blog today.