Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Remember the Slide Ruler? How about a Checkbook? By Geniusofdespair

Yes, like the newspaper, the U.S. Post Office, the buggy whip and the slide ruler so too is going the checkbook. A young professional friend active in the business world informed me she couldn't send a check as she didn't have a checkbook. Perplexed, I questioned her further. She said:

"We stopped using checks awhile ago. Not because I am a total green freak…its just all easier via online. We pay every bill online. And if I have to get a check, I go to the bank. I go to the bank about 2 times a month for money orders…which are free with my bank account. So I save money too!" I asked about her contemporaries: "Yes, you are correct…none of our friends write checks. Our kids tuition is even online."

I am feeling very old today as I write checks to pay bills...and I had just been feeling good about myself, having mastered text messaging. How can I keep up?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the NEW world!!!

Mustang Bobby said...

I still write a check to the lawn guy and some car club stuff, but all the rest is electronic.

Anonymous said...

Yep, the money goes fast with the click of a mouse! It is also much easier to keep up with your account online, and most jobs pay online too. We hardly ever see any real money any more.

Anonymous said...

It is sort of like the matrix . . . money is a construct.

Anonymous said...

Better watch out for that IRS audit if you work off the books.

Anonymous said...

It's alright Genius.. you're still cool in my book. I write tons of checks... and I'm 21. Then again, my friends think I'm like a 60 year old.. so maybe I'm not the best judge of 'coolness.'

-Stephen

Anonymous said...

No checks, no stamps ,no envelopes.
I even get my prescriptions from Walgreen's online and mailed to me at no cost.
Of course if is an emergency I go to the store, but if is a monthly prescription you can set it on auto and it will automatically send it to you every month, or you can go online and have it re-filled when you want.

Anonymous said...

I personally had a meltdown when "Publix Direct" shutdown. I found myself wandering around the store trying to remember how to shop. They made me Jane Jetson and then took it all away. I really needed closure for that one.

tom

Anonymous said...

Get ready for electronic metering of water & electric service.
Also,a beautiful thing not having to worry about a mailbox, the junk mail sits there then I'll clean it out every 3-4 weeks.
Now that's progress!

swampthing said...

When it comes to mass subservience to corporate multi-nationals intended profit... convenience is the carrot, stigmata is the stick.


OUT WITH THE HEW, IN WITH THE OLD.

Anonymous said...

I have ING which means I can't even go to a banks. If I want to write an actual check, I have to go online and write one and the bank mails it for me. Free of charge of course.

Mr. Freer said...

It's a pain for me to leave a check in my mailbox for the yard guy. Someone should design a website to pay them each time they show up. He probably doesn't have an email acct so I think paypal is out.