Saturday, August 23, 2008

You Heard It Folks: Miami is the Worst City in The Country For Sports. By Geniusofdespair

Forbes says:
“Over the past year, the city's four major sports teams--the Dolphins, Marlins, Heat and Panthers--have combined to win just 40% of their games while fans have forked over money for tickets and accouterments at the seventh-highest rate among 29 major sports metros. Throw in a $38,632 median household income for the greater Miami area, fifth-lowest of the 29 markets, along with a $292.50 price tag for a family of four to see a game, and the city's pro sports scene ranks as the worst deal in the country by our accounting.”

So we need a new government financed Marlins stadium because...?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, we don't need a stadium for the Marlins - let's chase them out of town - all I care is there is no Lowes at 137th and 8th - then my life will be complete.

Anonymous said...

Who is supporting building the stadium even if our residents have no jobs, are in foreclosure, and can barely buy food and medicines? Our elected officials of course. They relish attending the games in style inside luxurious sky boxes that most certainly they'll get free of charge. They're a bunch of freeloaders!

Anonymous said...

Wow, the first anon post is a classic one. Real deep and profound.

Geniusofdespair said...

I would say it is to the point.

Unknown said...

Does this honestly surprise anyone? The most popular sport in the city, soccer ( or football, if you will ) is the only sport not represented by a major franchise. I mean, I love watching football, hockey and basketball, but i am definately in a minority in miami.

out of sight said...

Here I am worrying about sending my son to college, worried about having the money to pay the mortgage and repair the car, while this raging debate goes on about the stadiums and theaters. Frankly, I think I don't need any of it. Let's put the money into cleaning up the community and the water front so tourists enjoy the weather, shoreline and greeness in winter. Let's fix tourist related infrastruture that is already in place so that they enjoy their visit safely.

Anonymous said...

I got my proposed property tax yesterday from our county tax collector. The guy must be out of his mind and like the rest of our local government out of touch with reality. My assessed value went up and consequently my taxes are higher despite the $50,000 homestead exemption. The market value is listed at over $255,000 while houses in my development are being offered for $133,000 to $180,000 and still none has been sold here since Nov. 2006. At that value, I'm planning on offering it for sale to the county and make a handsome profit!