Thursday, October 18, 2007

Now I am getting VERY worried about the presidential election. By Geniusofdespair

The presidential hopefuls on both sides of the aisle are a sorry lot and it is finally sinking in. I am at a loss of who to vote for. As far as the Dumbocrats, Hillary is too much of a hawk, can she win? Besides she is a woman with baggage -- Whitewater, Bill. Barak Obama — sorry you should have changed your name early on. It just will not work (remember Dukakis) and I fear the color thing will resonate negatively with some voters (the Ikea set perhaps). I actually think Edwards has the best chance. But what a sorry lot.

Then we have the Pubs. Rudy, that cellphone call from your wife: particularly stupid. The cop mentality doesn’t play for me — 9/11 is not enough. Mit, Nit, Wit, whatever, I think you are better than Rudy but not by much. McCain, Bush ass-kisser, nope. More troops? I don’t think so. And the tall guy: too late and too conservative. I have a real problem with the religious mantle the Pubs have shrouded themselves with, for me it is a big fat negative. Creationism, come on? I would suppose I would vote for Ron Paul.

So, who is it going to be? As an Independent, I am hoping for a miracle because none of these people have me very excited. But then the last two elections were a case of the lesser of two evils for me. This is a terrible way to vote. I wish someone would inspire me and no one has....yet.

I wish my mother were alive, she always picked the winner. Why? She didn’t have a high school diploma, she watched game shows on TV, she read supermarket rags and she liked to shop at K Mart — in other words - she was an average American. “Mom, send me a dream.”

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what about kucinich the vegan?

Anonymous said...

Let me get this right. YOU are not inspired by Obama because his name is funny and others might not vote to him. That's about the stupidest reason I've heard. And you don't even say anything about Edwards as a reason not to support him. You can call them a sorry lot, but give a reason. And the fact that others won't support the candidate is not a good reason for you not to do so. Finally, how is it the "lesser of two evils" to vote for Obama if he is the nominee if your only comment about him is that OTHERS will not support an African-American?

Geniusofdespair said...

anonymous liberal -- you don't think a foreign sounding name is going to scare people in the heartland? Come on!! A lot of people voted for Bush for the stupid reason: "He talks like me." (the meta message: He looks like me). I don't need intelligent reasons, the electorate are simpletons simple reasons rule. Read George Lakoff on messaging. Why should I be intelligent in my choice, the American people aren't.

I thought it obvious I was leaning towards Edwards if I choose a democrat. The reason I am calling them a sorry lot....they don't inspire me. I am glad you are inspired but be a realist...they also have to be electable remember McGovern.

If I had to be tortured with 8 years of McCain (because the dems pick a loser) after 8 years of Bush I would give up voting. I have a count down clock for Bush's presidency and it feels like a really long time to go.

Anonymous said...

JF said...
OK - let me try to amplify what AL above was saying. Here's what you said: Barack Obama is one of a sorry lot. You are arguing that he will lose because of his foreign-sounding name. And that makes him sorry? C'mon. You are hoping, in 2007, for a politician that will (1) appeal to you, and (2) appeal to enough others. Bzzzt. At least this one will make you feel good when you vote for him, and it's not just a vanity campaign. So, down off the high horse, and just vote and feel good. Who knows? Maybe the right one can win, it has happened before (well, anyway, at least it did on West Wing--close enough). This one is not a McGovern, nor a Dukakis. Lightning can strike with a charismatic candidate, which no democtraic nominee has been since 1960. - JF

October 18, 2007

Geniusofdespair said...

ah the West Wing...the perfect president, and then the perfect 2 candidates. Isn't make believe the way to go?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Aaron Sorkin writes a hell of a great White House. Maybe he's insulated from reality by the magic mushrooms he smuggles in his luggage. But seriously, I'd take a Sorkin administration over anything I've lived through since I was born in 1960. Too bad it's just make believe.

rudy said...

Moron- Your comment makes me suspect the clarity of your other often penetrating remarks on this blog.

Anonymous said...

Clearly, this long and early presidential campaign is going to change forever the democratic process in this country.

I still don't understand why it is winner take all in the finale. What's up with that? Doesn't seem very fair for all of us who support underdog candidates, why should entire states be awarded to the winner of the popular vote in that state?

Let's give our constitution a makeover.

Well, I think it is the new year of the woman...but only time will tell.

Anonymous said...

It wasn't clear you're for Edwards until you said it. Now, that said, let's get out and elect him. By far the best candidate, he has a great program and has led the way on so many issues. Very progressive, fights for little people, not taking big lobbyist money. Hillary is the past. Barack is my choice for vice president with John Edwards, so Barack can try again for president in 2016.

Geniusofdespair said...

open spaces:

thanks for the insight...not.

I don't make penetrating remarks i look at reality in my own way...which could be moronic I would guess. I was trying to read my fellow americans more than expressing my views, and I am quite good at that...reading people.

Anonymous said...

I don't like the religious thing with Barack. It is not a racial thing.

And Mr. 9-11, is true he was living with his wife and mistress in the same house when he was married?

I am not going to vote for a pro-war person, and I want some secure borders.

Spared said...

Wait...You would vote for Ron Paul who would eliminate the IRS, the Department of Education, the Department of Energy, the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Administration, and the Interstate Commerce Commission, because he believes they are "unnecessary bureacracies".

You are just too funny... I don't care how bad the choices are, I won't waste my vote on a republipuke.

I would rather vote for a democrat just to prove the point most pols on the right need to shut up and sit in the back of the bus for the next few decades - We need to let people like Obama or Edwards drive us back to that place where we were before Reagan and both of the Bushtards. The place we started to see with Clinton.