Saturday, January 09, 2010

Professor Stoddard running for South Miami Mayor - February 9th election. By Geniusofdespair

Philip Stoddard's announcement:

Last night I had my arm twisted hard by a roomful of hard-working citizens who have put their lives into making this city a better place to live. They felt few people stood a chance to beat Horace with only a month to campaign. My name is well known in the city because of my work on the FPL issue and I haven't been controversial enough to amass negative baggage. An hour before closing time, South Miami Mayor Horace Feliu was still running unopposed, so I filed. I have no political ambitions, but I did it for all of us.

If elected, I will pursue ethics reforms, a broad green agenda in South Miami, completion of some important community projects, and of course, opposition to powerlines on US 1 and construction of new nuclear reactors at Turkey Point.

To make the time, I will (for 2 years) shed my university committee work, stop teaching extra courses, but keep my research going strong - I just got an NSF grant to study how dishonesty alters communication (I love irony).

If we are to beat the South Miami sleaze-machine, and I say "WE" because success or failure will belong to all of us, we'll need people to knock on doors and we'll need a bit of money for signs & flyers.
(photo from a Channel 4 video).

11 comments:

youbetcha' said...

Best wishes!

Anonymous said...

Philip is a stand-up guy and a true activist. I have interacted with him over the last 8 months on FPL's transmission line issue and he has done more work than anyone else on this project. This comes as a very welcome surprise to me and I offer my wholehearted endorsement.

Stephen Murray
Coconut Grove Village Council

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stoddard, I truly wish you the best. It's a tough road but am glad you took it. Someone needs to work for the people in South Miami.

Pamela Gray
Redland

Anonymous said...

Awesome. When can we see the reports showing where and from whom Horace is raising money?

Anonymous said...

Good new best of luck doc!

Harvey Bernstein said...

Phil should be elected if the residents of South Miami desire a mayor who truly cares about us and the sustainable future of our community.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Stoddard, thank you for making the sacrifices for our City of South Miami. South Miami needs changes in government and it should start with a new HONEST mayor that truly cares about the residents. Thank you

Anonymous said...

Best luck in the craziest town north of Homestead.

Anna Bystrik said...

It is about time! Uncorrupted, uncompromising scientist, his life rooted in the area his devotion to the wellbeing of the Greater Miami ecological well-being with no second agenda. I hope Dr. Stoddard is elected, which would means only sacrifice of personal time and energy for him, yet hope for the rest of us!

Anonymous said...

He might be a pencil neck geek...but we love him!

Anonymous said...

Dr. Stoddard is the hardest, most demanding, yet most understanding, interesting, and amazing professor at FIU. He really made you think through issues, put facts and observations together to come up with meaningful conclusions. If he is as good a mayor as he is a professor, then South Miami will see the tides change for the better. Good luck, Dr. Stoddard!

A grateful former student,
S. Rios