Tuesday, June 12, 2012

What Have You Done Lately? By Geniusofdespair

In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln (the President not the Vampire Hunter)

Anyone can procreate and leave money to their kids. Lucky kids if they get an inheritance.  What I am asking all of you is: What else have you done? If you died tomorrow, would you be leaving anything behind worthwhile that would help more than your family? Did you help mankind, the environment, animals... in other words, did you make the planet better in some small way?  Think about it, selfish isn't the way to go. It isn't too late to make a difference. I was thinking about my friend Sheldon, who took a gun to his head and fired.  It is too late for him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your friend. It's a story I'm hearing far too often about too many. I've dealt with it in my own family.

As someone with a trust fund and I guess the "silver spoon" set some would call, I dedicated almost my entire life actively participating in charity work. I don't mean writing a check, I mean getting involved, talking with people, finding out there needs, finding out of there's anything I or a group of people can do, and it's been the most rewarding of anything.

I've worked tirelessly on environmental issues which have actually brought me my biggest frustrations due to the political tilt against any type of preservation of our natural resources. This has been the most frustrating battle of all.

So, yes, it's up to each of us to make a difference. Big or small. Reaching out to someone in need, just one person, is a good start.

Geniusofdespair said...

Thank you for responding. Environmental issues have brought me my biggest frustrations as well.

Anonymous said...

Through my work, I have had to deal with people with very diverse, serious and difficult problems who had no idea where to go for help or if help was available. It taught me that my problems were insignificant compared to what was(and is)happening to others and that I should be involved in doing as much as I can for the helpless. It is very rewarding to know that you made life more bearable for someone.

Anonymous said...

I have always tried to make a difference, but you always seem to impugn my motives. Unfortunately, the digital trail of smears upon my name will likely survive beyond my years on the planet. I will continue to do my good works, tolerate your harsh judgment, and find peace in the notion that those who really know me do not share your views.

Name withheld to avoid additional digital trashing...Peace