Saturday, February 19, 2011

My Mother-In-Law Died Last Night. By Geniusofdespair

She was 103 years old and 3 months. Her favorite president was Franklin Delano Roosevelt. She never voted for a Republican and never missed an election including the last one. She was a pre-teen when women were given the right to vote. I said "OMG did women go crazy? What was that like?" She said nothing happened. It was hardly noted in her household. She had an outhouse and a horse drawn carriage with a wacky horse that would lie down in the street. As a 6 year-old, she sold newspapers at the train station for her dad. College educated, she became a teacher and married a doctor. She lived a good life.

It was her time to go. She had a long healthy life except for the last few months. 103 was not the charm for her. (This is a painting I did of her when she was in her 80's, she didn't like the painting much. It was from a black and white photo.)

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better days ahead. Prayers are with you both.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
youbetcha' said...

I am sorry for your loss.

You guys know where to find me if you need anything.

CATO said...

She was fortunate to have lived a long and mostly healthy life in the company of loved ones, and for that we should all wish for.

Horse and Buggy? My kids have a hard time grasping the concept of B&W TV or life without the internet.

This always picks me up hope it does the same for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlBiLNN1NhQ&feature=related

Mensa said...

Very interesting I have said 103 is how old I expect to get and it is nice to see others reach there. She sounds like a good woman, but for some crazy reason we all have to die sometime.

Anonymous said...

sorry for your loss; BTW...you're a damn good artist :)

Steve Cody said...

My condolences to you and your husband.

Anonymous said...

Very sorry

Donna said...

You wrote about your wife's mom before and her anger about getting old. Apparently she was finally ready to do something about it.

South Florida Lawyers said...

Condolences -- RIP.

Shelley said...

It is the circle of life. It is a wonderful thing that she had such a great family and support system. I love the painting. You cared about her and spent time to memorialize her before she was 103. Better days ahead.

Anonymous said...

My condolences. Undoubtedly, she will be missed beacuse she was an extraordinary woman.

SethGordon said...

Shortly before my mother died at 95 she stared me straight in the eye and said: "you know, every morning when I wake up, I'm surprised"

Tony Garcia said...

Sorry to hear...may she rest in peace.

Geniusofdespair said...

I often thought by the comments I dump that lobbyists are some of our most loyal readers.

Anonymous said...

Bless you both. Beautiful painting.

swampthing said...

you married good genes. my biological grandma also lived to 103. I think their secret was to have been born way before the toxic mess we contend with today. Warms my heart to see you paint.

Stephen Murray said...

GoD-

I'm sorry for your loss. Quite a life she lived. You have a lot better genes than I do :).

-Stephen

Gimleteye said...

She lived an amazing and long life! So sorry for your loss.