Thursday, May 13, 2010

"Imagining a New Florida" on WPBT Channel 2, tonite ... by gimleteye

I'm curious about tonite's hour-long local PBS documentary on Florida and its signature state bird: the gated subdivision. OK, sprawl is not a bird, but low density, scattered subdivisions define Florida. The excesses of sprawl substantially contributed to the greatest economic decline in Florida since the Great Depression. I strongly doubt tonite's documentary will even touch its political and financial underpinnings. This blog is one of the only places that point of view crosses the great divide established between passive consumers and advertiser sponsored media. Public broadcasting in general and Channel 2 in particular has done an extraordinarily lousy job of putting powerful special interests under the microscope for viewers. I know, because I pay attention to coverage of politics and the Growth Machine. I've been interviewed on Channel 2 news programs-- representing the environmental point of view-- and I can feel the temperature rise in the studio when my point of view pushes too hard. Hardball on sprawl and the environment? Hardly. It is part of the "fair and balanced journalism" that is rarely ever fair and balanced when it comes to issues of growth, economic prerogatives, and the environment. But I'll suspend judgment on tonite's broadcast. I keep hoping for better from local PBS. Maybe tonite is the night.Click this link for the Herald story.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with this perspective. The worst is WLRN. Isn't it time for Joe to go?

Anonymous said...

I like to see who the top donors are to PBS and WLRN. I betcha they are politically connected people interested in influencing the media. Kinda the same way The Miami Herald is influenced by Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden's big advertising budget. Business as usual in South Florida!

Anonymous said...

WPBT sucks and WLRN is lame. They have to be the 2 worst PBS stations serving a market of this size in the country.

Anonymous said...

I hope they talk about Florida Hometown Democracy. :) Any bets?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, local programming is awful, but the national stuff makes up the difference.

Frontline is the best news magazine on television. I wouldn't recommend watching if you're drowsy, but it is the sharpest and most revealing reporting anywhere on TV.

Anonymous said...

Has anyone followed the movie on Link about FCC and deregulation. I think it is called "Orwell Rolls Over in Grave" or something. FCC stuff is not getting much play time. Very interesting stuff going on. Concerning too.

Anonymous said...

I was watching but just turned it off. It was boring and I wasn't learning anything new.

Anonymous said...

It was certainly a snoozer. It offerred nothing new to anyone paying attention to zoning in Dade County.