Sunday, March 15, 2009

Facebook Sucks. By Geniusofdespair

When I was a child I was mad as hell that God knew so much about me. Damn, I couldn’t get away with anything. God had that balance sheet on my good and bad behavior from which I couldn’t hide.

Now, I see the same thing happening for real. I picture thousands of Excel and Access files being compiled from our Facebook and My Space pages. Facebook had the balls to print some sign-on disclaimer a few weeks ago, where they were free to do what they wished with OUR private information. Wow! Are we stupid or what?

You know something is very wrong when U.S. Congressman Kendrick Meek asks to be “your friend” on Facebook. For the record, Kendrick wouldn’t know me if I fell on top of him. This social networking stuff is getting out of hand and it is scaring the be-Jesus out of me. People are putting way too much information about themselves on-line.

As I write: relatives are posting photos of me, personal information on themselves including their REAL date of birth next to their REAL name, history of my family in words and photos, personal information on their kids, etc. Casual friends are telling me way more than I ever wanted to know about their daily lives. Photos are everywhere and some I've seen can't possibly add to a resume. These pages are your "Permanent Record" folks! Lawyers (for lawsuits) and Employers (researching prospective hires) are using the data.

Damn. I want to go back to God. One entity knowing everything about me was enough!

Don’t get me started on how much Twitter sucks, that's another post.

P.S. HERE IS FACEBOOK'S CURRENT POLICY ON USER CONTENT...LOOK AT LAST LINE, JUST AS I SAID, PERMANENT RECORD!

"By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content."

(took this off their website today - this is what you agree to when you open a Facebook page.)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like he took his DUI seriously.

Anonymous said...

Facebook has updated that policy. And you can change a number of privacy settings to deal with many of your concerns.

But really, I'm always surprised that people get worried about photos of them with friends being out in public. Unless you are doing something illegal, who cares? Life is too short to worry about some stranger seeing me having a beer at a house party.

The benefits highly outweigh the potential problems.

Geniusofdespair said...

PHOTOS OUT IN PUBLIC? Phelps. I rest my case.

Geniusofdespair said...

THIS IS ON THE FACEBOOK PAGE:

When you post User Content to the Site, you authorize and direct us to make such copies thereof as we deem necessary in order to facilitate the posting and storage of the User Content on the Site.

LOOK AT THIS READERS....

By posting User Content to any part of the Site, you automatically grant, and you represent and warrant that you have the right to grant, to the Company an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such User Content for any purpose, commercial, advertising, or otherwise, on or in connection with the Site or the promotion thereof, to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such User Content, and to grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing. You may remove your User Content from the Site at any time. If you choose to remove your User Content, the license granted above will automatically expire, however you acknowledge that the Company may retain archived copies of your User Content. Facebook does not assert any ownership over your User Content; rather, as between us and you, subject to the rights granted to us in these Terms, you retain full ownership of all of your User Content and any intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights associated with your User Content.

Anonymous said...

I know that I have one, I don't use it, and I have others, but YOU are correct. They may as well be posting my underwear size... It gives me the creeps.

Anonymous said...

Genius, the section of the agreement you posted really should be broken into two parts.

1) From the beginning, "By posting..." to "authorize sublicenses of the foregoing."

That's the language that Facebook needs to protect itself. Yes, it gives them a lot of rights, but the nature of the medium (with all the different ways to embed that content elsewhere) basically requires it for their own protection.

2) From "You may remove..." through the end.

This is the notice that your content still belongs to you. If you take it down, they can't continue to use it, but obviously, it'll still be backed up.

Granted, the offending license they posted before this one was horrible, but they've done a good job of cleaning it up.

Anonymous said...

"PHOTOS OUT IN PUBLIC? Phelps. I rest my case."

Even if there was no Facebook would you let someone take a photo of you smoking weed? Sure I'm sure he didn't want someone taking that photo, but as a celeb, he should have been more careful.

Anonymous said...

I love Facebook I only wish they had it around in my day it would have made my job so much easier. Unless of course someone posted a picture of me in drag.