Saturday, February 28, 2009

Hot weekend food tip: Coral Gables Farmers Market ... by gimleteye

Here is a hot food tip you haven't read anywhere else: the best tortillas in South Florida can be had, one day a week at the Farmers' Market in Coral Gables during the winter months. But only on Saturday. And only lechon. (The Farmers' Market, directly outside City Hall on Lejeune Road and Miracle Mile, closes at 1PM.)

It's a small stand with an awning, just below the City Hall steps. The sweet women behind the front also sell pieces of banana and strawberry covered in chocolate. Don't ask me why. The draw is the just-cooked pork, shredded into mouth-watering pieces on a tortilla warmed up on a hot plate and served with fresh sliced onions, cilantro, tomato and a wicked marinade concoction. Six bucks per.

I always go back for a second. I can't help myself. If you can find a better tortilla in Miami-Dade. Let me know where.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

EEK! You let the cat out of the bag! I LOVE those tortillas. Oh my god they are heaven in your hand. Oh and the best orange juice is also sold at the farmers market. $10 for a gallon but seriously worth it.

Anonymous said...

Where is a photo of the stand?

Anonymous said...

And they had those great honeybells! They're over, but I got some other great juicers today

Anonymous said...

The best guacamole in town is sold at the Farmers Market.

m