Wednesday, January 14, 2009

City of Miami: Beba Mann Running for Sanchez' Seat. By Geniusofdespair


Local Crooner Joe Sanchez is running for City of Miami Mayor so he has to relinquish his current City Commissioner position. Hence, Beba Mann stepped in as a candidate. I consider her a friend. I met her through Miami Neighborhood's United (a coalition of Homeowner's groups) years ago.

Do I dare toy with a press release written by professional writer Rebecca Wakefield (Mann's campaign Manager)? I think not – she is actually a trained writer and I am not. I will take parts from what Rebecca wrote:

Beba Mann, 49, is a longtime civic activist who developed an interest in local politics while fighting zoning changes and incompatible development in her neighborhood. As a member of the Silver Bluff Homeowners' Association she has equally fought land use changes detrimental to homeowners throughout the city. Later, she became part of Miami Neighborhoods United, an umbrella organization created to help homeowners associations in their fights to protect quality of life issues.

Mann is also a board member of the Urban Environment League, and was Vice Chair of the City of Miami's Planning Advisory Board. While a member of the PAB, Mann was confronted and dealt with some of the city's most heated development battles, including Miami 21.

An unusual twist to Mann's campaign is the hiring of Rebecca Wakefield, the former and formidable political columnist for the Miami Sun Post, as her campaign manager. “This will be the dynamic duo for this election,” Mann said. “Energy, smarts and knowledge of the political landscape.”


Not to mention: Pretty! They are an attractive pair. Watch for Beba in next year's Eye on Miami Best Looking Elected Official contest.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beba will win. She is a great person that cares about the community.

Anonymous said...

Not only does she have the proper background for every body to vote for her but also she is prettier than any Hollywood star.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Genius. As a reporter and columnist, I found your insight and outrage to be valuable. I like Beba's odds and when she wins it will prove that it's really possible for concerned citizens to take back their town, one seat at a time.

Anonymous said...

Go Beba!

Anonymous said...

Beba's candidacy is a signal that Miami is undergoing a much needed shift in local leadership...now we need to see that shift in the mayoral race!!

Anonymous said...

Beba is a wonderful person, and although she looks very young, she is already a grandmother... Good person, with good intentions... She and Rebecca will have their hands full, but I fully expect to see her walking the district starting this weekend. There is going to be a lot of money in this race, but, people forget, the legwork is the most important component to this type of race. She will be out there, and she will make a good run. I see her making the run-off against either Frank Carrollo or Luis Morse. Then, from their, depends on turnout... Truly a toss-up!! Going to be a very fun election cycle in the City of Miami...

Geniusofdespair said...

OMG I can't believe she is a grandmother. you have to be kidding!

Anonymous said...

She would make a great commissioner. I would vote for her if I were in her district.

Anonymous said...

Finally a pragmatic thinker in our district! Go Maria ("Beba")!

Anonymous said...

From the other grandmother: Yes, Beba is a grandmother. She is also smart, honest and pragmatic. She will make a wonderful commissioner and be an asset to the community. Go Beba, you have my full support.

Anonymous said...

Beba shows great commonsense.

Geniusofdespair said...

Beba, read Sins of South Beach....learn what not to do!

Anonymous said...

What can I say? I have known this "woman" for 49 years. That's right, her whole life. She never ceases to amaze me at what she can accomplish when she sets her mind to do it. I have never seen her more committed to a cause like this, of serving the Miami citizens. One thing I can tell you is that she does not have one dishonest bone in her body. She shoots from the hip and what you see is what you get. The City of Miami will not be dissapointed when she gets elected. Notice I say "when". I am so proud to be her Big Brother.

And for those of you struck by her beauty....she's even more beautiful in person. :P

Anonymous said...

It is so refreshing to have a commited citizen like Beba Mann run for office.Beba's main reason for running is to help her community and neighbors.There is no hidden agenda in her quest for public office.I have had the privelege of knowing Beba for many years and I tell you she is more beautifull inside.The City of Miami will be well served.

Hermann Diehl

Anonymous said...

It will be a tough campaign. Beba will have to knock on doors and attend 2-4 events every day up until the election and then through the runoff if there is one. But she will be a great Commissioner.

Anonymous said...

As opposed to her brother who has know Beba for 49 years, I have only known her for 6 months, following my move to Miami after 44years in NY. NYers are a tough bunch and we can smell the "all talk, no action types" coming from a mile away. Beba is the polar opposite on those indiviuals. She means what she says and says what she means. If she brought nothing to the table but that simple philosophy, we all ought to vote for her

Tony Otero

Anonymous said...

I am overwhelmed that someone accomplished, courageous, honest, physically beautiful and FEMALE is running for public office. Beba, I only wish I were a resident of your district. Not only would I vote for you, I would also help your campaign! Forge ahead, girl! I'm sure a lot of good people are supporting you. Congrats on having Rebecca with you. She's dynamite!

Geniusofdespair said...

Rebecca has moved on...if you like Beba send her a check. She won't win without MONEY!