Friday, September 12, 2008

Traveling - News from the road. by Geniusofdespair

Went through Myrtle Beach. Much more tacky than Miami Beach, sort of like a built up Daytona Beach. Disappointed, was out of there fast. Georgetown, South Carolina had a massive paper mill and other port industry. The air seemed thick when we passed through. Not a great haven, in my view, for people with asthma. Had some good fried green tomatoes. I usually gauge what kind of a time I am having by what I am eating. Went to Lady and Sons in Savannah and had collard greens, black eyed peas and fried chicken. Not bad. Had hush puppies at Hymans in Charleston (tasted like doughnuts) and crab cakes. So so far life is good.

Here is some advice: Don't wear an Obama T Shirt in South Carolina.

Every TV I see has Sarah Palin being interviewed. Enough already. Watched "Burn Notice" and got homesick. Then I fell asleep to a "House" rerun and I could swear my spleen was acting up when I woke up this morning.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You see, we do have something in common. We both like Burn Notice. Michael is a good character, but Sam steals the show.

m

Anonymous said...

Thats a pretty harsh statement of the south...I've lived in Birmingham and Montgomery Alabama yet the most overt racism ive ever felt was in Boston...

Anonymous said...

Some are conveniently forgetting Democrat Sen. Robert Byrd's KKK history.

Anonymous said...

Yeah I have to agree about South Carolina, at least in the coastal areas, the antebellum racist South is alive and well. Black people are treated as second class citizens, especially by the cops.

Montgomery, Birmingham, Atlanta, even Chattanooga and Knoxville have traveled leagues to defeat their racist stereotypes. However, South Carolina still revels in them.