Friday, August 15, 2008

Steinberg or Geller? By Geniusofdespair

Dan Gelber's State House seat is up for grabs because of term limits. The question is, who is less worse, Richard Steinberg or Joe Geller? I am baffled on this seat. The Herald endorsed Geller but they didn't convince me with what they based their decision on. The entire Government of Aventura endorsed Steinberg -- That is a pretty bad sign.

Geller's brother was a lobbyist for gambling while he held State office (Senator). How did he do that? I have an annoying sister so I won't hold that against Joe...we can't be held responsible for the actions of our crappy relatives.

I asked David Dermer who he endorsed, he said both.

As I said before, I am not impressed with all the money Steinberg is spending on mailers, where is the money coming from?

Anyone have any clue on this race? Anyone from North Bay Village or Miami Beach out there? Tell, me, who should I endorse and why? Give me reasons, don't just call them scum.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which one is Patlak endorsing?

Geniusofdespair said...

Apparently, no one seems to care about this race???

Anonymous said...

Joe Geller is endorsed by Jeffrey Perlow that couldn't be good.

WOOF said...

Steinberg was a Miami Beach Commisioner as well as being endorsed by the Mayor and the rest of the Aventura City Council.
That's two strikes against him.

I don't know if Geller is any better, North Bay Village being a hotbed of silly gov't news stories.

Steinberg people have called me a few times and done some very sophisticated polling.
I'll pass on his candidacy.

Anonymous said...

My experiences with Steinberg have been good here in City of Miami Beach. An open door, he'll listen but seems tentative at times like he's unsure of which is the right move to make. I like that he's open to consider but he doesn't inspire you that he has these core values that are immovable.

Joe I occassionally brushed with in the Democratic Party back in the Ray Zeller days. He was trying to play peace maker between myself and an ambitious bugger willing to stab anyone within the party in order to move up the food chain. In the end, Joe sided with the bugger and I lost respect for him.

Funny twist though with your story Genius - his brother - though his faults - stepped to the plate during legislative session 2 years ago and did a real good thing. I know he's deep with gambling yet in a pinch he came through.

So I would say, choose your style. Joe will play it tough, inside baseball with an agenda, working it hard and f'n a few people along the way. Richard seems cautious, consensus builder, considers what has a chance and will look at the options, listen and decide what's best.

BTW - Look where Richard is from and folks who like him (i.e. sharing their lists), that's why he's got alot of moola. I don't smell evildoers....though I've been wrong before.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Neo...just what I was looking for. And as always thank you Woof...

Anonymous said...

Geller says he will take on special interests in Tallahassee. The Democrats have no power in Tallahassee so they don't really do anything except show up once in awhile.

Anonymous said...

According to Joan Fleishman's recent article in the Herald DAN GELBER IS SUPPORTING STEINBERG.

Politics -- as usual. Florida house Democratic leader Dan Gelber rarely endorses candidates in partisan primaries. However, he recently wrote a $100 check to the campaign of Richard Steinberg, 35, a Miami Beach commissioner who is running for Gelber's seat. Gelber knows Steinberg's opponent, Joe Geller, mayor of North Bay Village. Gelber, 47, and Geller, 54, ran against each other for the legislative seat in 2000. Gelber won -- handily.
''They're both solid candidates, but Richard is a longtime friend and supporter, and I want to help him,'' Gelber says.