Thursday, August 14, 2008

More on Ethics Recommendations to County Commission. By Geniusofdespair

A reader wrote a comment today on my August 5th post: Pie in the Sky Ethics Recommendations for the County Commission. I thought it worth it’s own blog:

Question/Suggestion on this issue. I've been mulling over all kinds of things and went back to read the Herald article on this. Something caught my eye at the bottom of the article:

Commission Chairman Bruno Barreiro -- who could hold considerable sway in sponsoring items -- couldn't be reached Monday. [Robert] Meyers is hoping to present the proposals to commissioners in October. He'll need one of the 13 members to sponsor the reform.

''If we find a sponsor, what will happen at the public hearing -- I have no idea,'' said Meyers.

Can we do a call to action on this? Can we ask your readers to write to their Commissioners to sponsor these? Mine is Moss. I am definitely going to write him a letter about this. Is there an update? Do we know if Meyers was able to get a sponsor? I think this is worth focusing on. Like you and Centrino point out, I agree these are very good suggestions at fixing our problems ESPECIALLY the campaign finance reforms.


I agree with everything you said reader and "in a perfect world" calling Commissioners might do some good, however, calling this bunch is a waste of time in my opinion. Good luck with Moss. And, Mr. Meyers, I have a very good idea what will happen. Katy or Carlos will sponsor them and they will die in defeat. In my view, we will not get these ethics recommendations on the ballot unless we petition for them. Anyone have a few hundred thousand dollars they can spare?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't beg this Commission for anything.