Monday, June 09, 2008

The Inspector General's "Random Audits" of Non Profits: There are none!! by Geniusofdespair

The County gives plenty of money (millions) to non profits each year from our hard earned tax dollars.

Non profits seeking Discretionary Reserve and Office funds from a County Commissioner must provide: A Federal Tax ID and a W9 form. That is it, and the name, address etc. I said to myself: "What, they have to be kidding." Then on the second page of the form I saw that it says that the non profits that the county gives money to, are subject to random audits by the Inspector General's Office. I said to myself. "Well that is good." Considering that there are over 800 non profits on the Discretionary Fund list, I was glad to see there is a check in place to make sure the non-profits are legit.

I wanted to see if there were any questionable charities on the list. I called the IG office and spoke to the Deputy Inspector General, Alan Solowitz. I said I wanted to do a public records request of all the audits that the IG office has done on non profits that the County has contributed money to (I didn't make it specific only to discretionary).

He said: "We have never done an audit of a non profit."

It is time for me to get on the county gravy train. I have a Federal Tax ID Number so all I have to do is think up a charitable sounding name, pay $150 to incorporate it and scurry over to County Hall with a sob story and talk about my "large membership" (which translates into votes at election time in a commissioner's eyes) and try to get some of that commissioner's $350,000 money pot.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

we are dumping money at non profits and there has never been an audit of any of them. That is really dumb.

C.L.J. said...

I saw a recent commission meeting, where an application for a grant was made. Commissioner Sorenson asked what kind of business the not-for-profit was engaged in, and the representative from the IG's office didn't know. Sorenson shrugged it off, but Rebecca Sosa was outraged.
"How can we even consider this grant when we don't even know what they do? What kind of application is that?"

Which echoed my own thoughts.

Anonymous said...

I think we should lauch a non-profit...Bloggers for Unrestricted County Funding AKA, if you cant beat them, join them...

We can make natashas daughter a Board member, thus assuring that we will all be in the gravy!

Does the County have a Paypal account? Come on Georgie boy loosen those purse strings...we'll throw Degrandy a bone if it would help...

Anonymous said...

he doesn't have to loosen the purse strings...they are plenty loose.

Geniusofdespair said...

Let me clarify, because someone asked: I said in the post you need to spend $150 to incorporate. You need to be a non profit corp. to receive the money so they require your seal according to the paperwork from the county. However, any JOE can form a 501 C3 and get a seal!