Saturday, March 24, 2007

Ain’t you glad we live in Florida? by Geniusofdespair

As I say in my profile, I am a windsurfer. This guy is braving the icy water (not in Florida) wearing a dry-suit which, coincidentally, keeps you dry (unless you pee). It is hard to take the suit on and off so I know what happens. If you happen to pee--and I am not saying I ever have-- the water is warm and it moves from ankle to neck in an instant (It is trapped inside the suit). In warmer weather, water sports people wear wetsuits which are always wet inside - no matter what.

When you fall in, you don’t get wet but the icy chill is well, very cold. Sometimes you get a trickle of water where the zipper is. Hands and face do not have great protection from the cold in winter windsurfing. (Hit on picture to see full size).

I don’t windsurf in the winter anymore. Been in Florida too long. Our water seems cold.

This guy is going out with a side shore wind. I would only go out in the winter with an on shore breeze - that way you drift in. What if something goes wrong for this guy? It is not like there a lot of boats out there.

Since I have given up trying to figure out the property tax reform issue, I thought I would reflect on something I enjoy, thus this post.

Anyway, if you want to watch the whole video: Windsurfer in Winter.


1 comment:

PeconicPuffin said...

Windsurfing in winter is like skiing in winter...you're comfortable until you have a bad fall!

:)

It's a beautiful sport, and one of the ways Floridians can enjoy their environment while causing little or no harm. A great sport!