Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving Fellow Wacky Miamians

Check out this article from Time Magazine about Miami: There's Trouble--Lots Of It--in Paradise
Two of my favorite quotes from the article:

"Imagine Miami, a private community-development project, recently asked some 1,600 randomly selected residents to list what they thought were the top "Miami values." What was the No. 1 value? Corruption. "[Miamians] don't trust their leaders or each other," says the group's founder Daniella Levine."

“And a majority of Miamians support Alvarez's efforts to reduce the inordinate powers of their county commission--which include housing-agency oversight--especially since its members have long run Miami-Dade like a collection of venal fiefdoms. A judge has ordered the commission to schedule a referendum on the issue.“

These articles don’t stay on line for long so check it out sooner rather than later.

Thanksgiving story: I sent my spouse out for turnips. Not knowing what a turnip looked like I started to prepare it. I peeled it with difficulty. I boiled it for an hour and a half and it never got soft. Wise at last, I googled pictures of turnips and it is not what I cooked. Being a very stubborn person, I am going to feed it to my guests because I cooked the damn thing. It is very crunchy and tasteless so I will throw a lot of butter on it. I tried to mash it but it is rubbery and wouldn’t mash. Yes rubbery and crunchy seem opposite but that is what this is: both. I tasted some so if I don’t make it till morning, I will post tonight. Have a Happy Thanksgiving from your grumpy, angry blogger who is going to make the Thanksgiving guests eat mystery food. Aren’t you lucky you aren’t coming over?

7 comments:

WOOF said...

Tell your guests they are eating
Pinrut, a Scotish vegetable, demanded as
reparations by the English nobility,
for Mary Queen of Scots rebellion. The
high vitamin C content prevents scurvy.
A Saint Swithens Day tradition.


A lot of salt helps.

Geniusofdespair said...

Thank you woof. I looked up pinrut in google images and got an SUV in a big rut. I will try the scurvy route. That sounds like something they could relate to (academics). Maybe I will put it back on the menu.

WOOF said...

turnip
pinrut

Geniusofdespair said...

Duh...thanks. Much funnier.

Anonymous said...

Did you mean to buy Rutabaga? That is a southern root that has a fairly strong favor and you cook it then mash it.

I like it mixed with mash taters and lots of butter and salt/pepper.

You can buy it already cooked in the frozen foods :P

Anonymous said...

I believe that another word for pinrut is jicama.

-one of the academics who wouldn't believe the scurvy story

Geniusofdespair said...

Jicama it is -- I googled the image. Thank you anonymous academic. See, this is why you readers should invite academics to dinner more often: they have an uncanny ability to identify food. Academic, you might be interested to know that residents of Mexico also recognize jicama as one of the four elements used for "The Festival of the Dead."