Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Miami Heat Fan is Born. By Geniusofdespair

Miami Heat Player Chris Anderson, The Birdman

My brother and his wife are from New York but both are becoming snow birds...slowly. They are diehard Yankee fans and never really followed basketball but my brother swore he was a New York Knicks fan. We decided to take them both to a Miami Heat game for my brother's birthday. They liked the excitement in the arena and have since bought tickets for a play-off game.

The Miami Heat has become a topic of conversation among us, except my brother always ends it insisting he is still a Knicks fan. We went to a bar Monday night to watch the Miami Heat play the Boston Celtics. We were surrounded by 4 big screens of the Miami Heat playing which made the experience more intense. It was a nail biter at the end and my sister-in-law was out of her chair saying "I can't look" as she worked off her manicure in the last seconds of the game. The Heat won their 23rd game in a row.

My brother still insisted he was a Knicks fan when the game ended. I asked him: Name one Knicks player. He stared at me, thought a few seconds, and said "I can't." I said name one Heat player. He rattled off: "Lebron" then slowly he added "Wade, Chalmers, Bosh and the Birdman." He actually named 5 players, forgetting only one starter: Udonis Haslem. The table was silent. Yes, we were all looking at a freshly minted Miami Heat fan.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Heat! Good for your brother. Tell him not to forget Ray Allen and Norris Cole.

Anonymous said...

Love the Heat. I would vote to build them a new stadium or stadium improvements. I love the Heat Family especially Bob McAdoo.

Anonymous said...

Anderson, when he's 70, is gonna be quite a sight.

Anonymous said...

"Anderson, when he's 70, is gonna be quite a sight." He won't make 70. But I see what your saying. I hope he saves his money because there isn't much hope for this young man. There are several documentaries on high-dollar professional athletes who are now penniless. The NBA and the NFL have worthy financial planning programs but how do you make a dent in a 20 year old skull? You don't. I know a couple former 80s dealers in the Keys that invested well and are living comfortably. Others...not so great.

Christian said...

" Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Heat. I would vote to build them a new stadium or stadium improvements. I love the Heat Family especially Bob McAdoo.

March 20, 2013"

I don't think we need to replace the AAA just yet.
Although it would be pretty cool if they made it into also a ice hockey arena (like MSG, Boston Garden and Staples Center) for the Panthers to come back to town.

Anonymous said...

Anderson better save his money because without basketball the only job he can get is working at a circus.

Geniusofdespair said...

God, you people are such a downer. Anderson is great. I love his tats. Ease up, it is his body not yours.