Monday, October 29, 2012
Bruce Matheson on the Tennis Center Expansion Question on the Ballot: Vote NO. By Geniusofdespair
• Florida law requires that notice of a referendum proposal must be “clear and unambiguous,” cannot “fly under false colors” or “hide the ball as to its true effect.”
• Why haven’t any actual plans or specifications for this massive development ever been provided to the public? How could voters possibly know what you’re asking them to vote on?
• Where does anything you’ve provided tell voters that a professional tennis promoter and its political allies in County government are proposing a 50-year sweetheart contract requiring $50 million in County bonds to finance a massive expansion of the structures and commercial uses on the Crandon Park Tennis Center site in the heart of Crandon Park, the public’s pristine sylvan retreat on Key Biscayne?
• Why haven’t you told the public who will have to pay the $50 million in County bonds if the tennis promoter decides to leave or goes out of business during the 50-year period?
• Why haven’t you told the public that none of this proposed expansion would be permitted by the existing Crandon Park Master Plan and restrictive covenants on the land?