Monday, July 30, 2012
An Open Letter From Ross - Running Against Erik Fresen. By Geniusofdespair
1. The Police Benevolent Association has provided us with an endorsement and assistance. Other endorsements are pending as organizations weigh the risks and benefits of opposing the status quo in what must seem to most people like a long-shot race. Remember that Alex Sink's performance in the precincts of the new District 114 was pretty good -- and she would beat Rick Scott in this district today!
2. The main focus of this campaign continues to be my personal canvassing of independent voters. I will knock 5,000 doors total and have completed many precincts already. In talking to swing voters, I have found that casino expansion is very unpopular in this newly drawn district. The experts I have heard from unanimously agree that sufficient walking can lead to a win, regardless of what is spent by Rep. Fresen. (It's hot out here, folks. Appalachian Trail hiking and back-country Glades paddling have prepared me well for politics.)
3. The South Dade Democratic Club will be opening a Pinecrest-area campaign office after the primary, and we plan to be a tenant there to anchor our grassroots activities in Pinecrest, South Miami and Cutler Bay. The entire UM campus is in our district, by the way.
4. After the primary, we will have some additional support from people who are currently working on races that will not be seriously contested in the fall. That will add some new dimensions to our effort.
5. I was dismayed to see the Herald editorial board recommend Rep. Fresen in the Republican primary. The Herald's own coverage of his unethical activities should have disqualified Rep. Fresen from an endorsement.
Thanks, folks! If we can win this against the big money, it will help change the way politics is done!
NOTE: THIS LETTER was a status memo to supporters. I have never trumpeted the PBA endorsement on my website or literature. It's on the memo as an informational item, to show evidence of credibility. Not the top takeaway I'd want anyone to have. People assume I composed this as a blog post, and that's the number one thing I'd want the world to know: NOT AT ALL.)