Saturday, June 16, 2012

Carmen Morris Running for State House. By Geniusofdespair

I wrote about Harold Ford previously (He has the S.O.S. plan of his major five objectives: Save Our Students, Save Our Schools, Save Our Seniors, Save Our Streets, and Save Our State!) Well, Carmen Morris is also running in District 117. The District runs mainly north to south, between Florida City up to Richmond Heights.) I asked Carmen a few questions.

Tell me a little about yourself.


I was born in Kingston, Jamaica and grew up here in Miami. I attended public school at Miami Edison. Herald reporter Bea Hines visited my English/Journalism class and left a lasting impression. So much so that I studied journalism at Miami Dade College and then Broadcast Journalism at Howard University in Washington, DC. I eventually moved back to the Miami sunshine and escaped the cold weather and then began the MBA program at Barry University while working at Storer Communications. I’ve always remained involved in my community from high school to now.

What do you do for a living?

I am a small business owner. Having my degree in journalism allowed me to go into the public relations and marketing field. My firm provides services including community outreach, public affairs, airport concession consulting as well as event planning and coordination to both the public and private sector corporations.

Why are you running?


I have always been active in the community. It is easy to be busy in the community when the needs are so great. Running for office is a natural extension of my volunteerism. What better way to help the community than to work as a legislator to make laws that make sense for the community?

Name one thing you are focusing on?


There are so many needs in our district; it would be easy to share a list a mile long. I believe that jobs, job training (or retraining), and small business development is key to the economic viability of a community. We need innovation and out-of-the-box thinking when dealing with economic development, not more of the same.

What about the environment?

The environment is a gift to those of us living in South Florida. It brings to our community fresh water, recreation and jobs. We have to treat our environment as important as it is to preserve it for us and future generations. I believe the legislature has failed to do due diligence.

What have you learned so far about running for office?


Everyone you meet has a story to share. The story is sometimes be sad, sometimes a horrible insight to how government affects people or sometimes angry but there are very few stories repeated to me that celebrate good government. Government must listen to its people or it will completely lose step with the community’s needs.

As State Representative, I want to take my skills, experience and talent and change those stories. I want our district and our state to be filled with successful and happy citizens who have great stories to tell about living in Florida.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Carmen! She is a people person. I have known her for years and I have never seen her lose her cool. She has always been very much a realist when comes to government.

Karen

Bill said...

Apparently that "lasting impression" wasn't all that "lasting."

It's spelled Hines, not Hinds.

outofsight said...

Hmmm. Apparently, typos happen on the Eye, too. How shocking. It was a typo, not Ms. Morris' recollection.

Carmen sounds like a genuine person who will take her business skills along with her community based philosophy to Tallahassee with her. We need both there.

Anonymous said...

Please Ms.Morris give or list examples of your activism in the community. I have never heard of you being active on any issue. Always give examples after each question that helps us make a decision on you. You said all the right things but nothing to back it up. That goes for all the others running also.

Jenny said...

An activist doesn't have to be splashed all over the papers to make an impact on community lives. Carmen has done enough to receive awards for her public service.

Carmen has sat on the board of the New World Symphony, has been a vice President of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Miami, active in the United Way and has raised scholarships for New world arts students.

The Red Cross honored her at their annual luncheon with the their American Red Cross, Spectrum Ethel & W. George Kennedy Volunteerism Award. In the past, Barry University gave her their Laudare Medal and she received the Onyx Humanitarian Award.

Anonymous said...

To Jenny:
Ms. Morris needs to share these with us. Thank you for filling in the blanks.