Saturday, May 12, 2012

Dog Etiquette: is it OK to cook your dog food? ... by gimleteye

I tasted the chicken livers fried with BBQ rub. Terrible. As a general matter I am the only person in the household who loves chicken livers. Cassius does, too. Cassius is my 90 lb., male Chesapeake Bay retriever.

Today we address a timeless question: should you cook food for your dog? The short answer is, there are some things you can't cook for anyone else. Dogs habituated from the wild hovering around the fire fighting over leftovers for tens of thousands of years. This conditioned behavior to eat cooked food predated my cooking chicken livers to share  -- wondering if he would also like them spiced with BBQ rub from Austin, Texas.

Cassius likes spicy foods. Who knew. The BBQ rub was a failed experiment for everyone except him. Anyhow, once this question is breached, there is a further question: is it proper dog etiquette to cut this food into smaller pieces. My children do not like chicken livers and they do not let me cut their food any more. Cassius won't eat vegetables, but he never talks back. For that I cut his spicy chicken livers into his food.


No comments: