Monday, January 02, 2012

The Best of Miami. By Geniusofdespair

In 2011 some of the best things I did in Miami were free, or almost free. Good news,  you can catch these events next year.

Miami Book Fair International - You have to go check it out. I go every year. In 2012 it will be held November 11 to the 18th. It is held at Miami Dade College. It is about $5 to attend.

Art Basel - If you have not been to any of the events centering around Art Basel you might as well live in Palatka. Art Miami, a separate show held the same time, is a good (cheaper) start for newbies. It is held in Wynwood. Art Basel is in Miami Beach. You shortchange yourself not going. Art Basel week will be December 6-9.

Miami Beach's Sleepless Night - They don't always have it (it is usually held in November), I hope they do this year, everything -- all night -- is free! You can't do better than that. In 2011 I went to see a free concert at the Colony Theater featuring the choral group, Seraphic Fire.  I also went to a free mini-concert at the New World Symphony's $160 million dollar home. What a treat. It is an intimate concert hall and the sound is terrific. The only thing you pay for during Sleepless Night is food. Even the transportation is free.

Wynwood Walls - They are not just in between Joey's and Wynwood Kitchen and Bar -- the walls are everywhere in Wynwood!
Wall by Portuguese Artist Alexandre Farto - alias "Vhils"

Get out of that seat in front of your  TV or computer and start to do the things Miami has to offer. Have you been to a beach? The Everglades? You can go out on a boat at Bayside for little money. The kids and the snowbirds would like that. In 2012 promise yourself to do more.  Life is short.

Any other suggestions readers?


8 comments:

Maria said...

You shoul add Dave Barry's Herald Hunt. Lots of fun. And FREE.

Geniusofdespair said...

I am incapable of following directions Maria. They make my head hurt.

Is that fun for you, taxing your brain? Maybe I should try it and get out of my comfort zone (like I am advising here). I could go with Gimleteye, he is pretty smart.

Sparrow said...

How could you leave out Urban Hip Hop Weekend? The only time each year we can immerse ourselves in unfettered vulgarity and misogyny, enjoy charming gangster banter and engage in the delightful sport of knife attacks and dodging bullets.

Anonymous said...

Your list is my list, but I would add the Deering Estate. It’s not an event but it is my favorite spot to visit in Miami. Hardly ever more than a handful of visitors at any given time, and on a fall or winter day is an incredibly beautiful and peaceful place to hang out and picnic, read, watch birds, look out on the bay and imagine what this place must have been like 50, 100 years ago. It’s not free, but buy a yearly membership and go as often as you like.

Rick said...

So, okay...what if I decide to visit Miami during one of the other 10 months of the year?

.

Geniusofdespair said...

Wynwood walls is all the time as is the beach and the Everglades. Those were just my top picks...

Anonymous said...

I nominate Barbara Bisno and Scenic Miami for her efforts to reduce and abolish billboards, mural ads and other forms of visual pollution.

Anonymous said...

Somebody needs to stand up and fight the outdoor advertising industry otherwise every square inch gets covered by distracting advertisements.