Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My Field Trip to Early Voting in Hialeah Tuesday. By Geniuofdespair



I have to say there is no place like Hialeah for elections. Early voting was festive yesterday. It was noisy -- check out the video, the audio is from the blaring truck speakers. Political signs are everywhere. I saw most of the candidates except the current Mayor.

I said I would endorse the first candidate that fed me. I got a piece of vegetarian pizza at the Raul Martinez camp -- it had sausages and ham on it...with a couple of vegetables of course.

Here are some photos from my outing. As of 5 pm 490 voters went out on Monday to vote in Hialeah.
I was surprised to learn there was a 4th Candidate running for Mayor and here he is. His name is George Castro. He said he could win because he is not like the other 3. Okay.

Raul Martinez was standing around greeting voters. He is running for Mayor in case you live in a cave.

Rudy Garcia, running for Mayor, wins for best hair. It was perfect. Didn't move a bit. Since he was a term-limited State Senator, I asked him for some dirt on Rubio or David Rivera, he wouldn't say a word. He sort of backed away from me during my questions and was soon in the arms of his handler Al Lorenzo. Also working on his campaign is David Custin. Sasha Tirador is working for no-show while I was there, Carlos Hernandez. Both Custin and Tirador were mentioned in the absentee ballot fraud close-out memo from the State Attorney's office. Jeffrey Garcia is helping Raul. He was the one that made the complaint that prompted the investigation of the other two. I like Jeffrey.


Al Lorenzo, working for Rudy - also doing Carlos Gimenez's campaign.


There were plenty of signs in Hialeah.


And, there were even moving signs and really big, noisy moving signs...



Even though he didn't offer me food, I liked Frank Lago. He is running for Concejales. Yes, my Spanish came in handy when people were pushing palm cards at me from all directions:

"No vivo in Hialeah." And, they understood. The throngs of campaign workers parted like the Red Sea, to let me pass...to go find food.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a disgrace that we have a city where English is a second language.

Gimleteye said...

All politics is retail. Brilliant report.

Geniusofdespair said...

Get over it that English is a second language. People are happy with their city. I liked it better than mine. Voting was a major affair here and everyone was warm and friendly no matter the candidate they were supporting.

Anonymous said...

Genius, I don't care for Hialeah and their politics. Furthermore, and I am not the original poster, the last I checked, speaking English is pretty important for anyone who wants to acclimate to our US society. However, in Hialeah, if Spanish is what they want, they got it, and it doesn't generate the biggest brain trust to the rest of the Country! It does generate a lot of what these people who don't speak English left behind when they left their Country's, and then complain.

Anonymous said...

the people in Hialeah do speak English, they just prefer not to. the point is they are completely engaged in this election while Miami and Miami Beach are asleep. I'm sure the statistics come Nov. 1 will prove I am correct.
The people of Hialeah know there government is broken and they intend to fix it.
Thanks EOM for coming on your little political/social excursion to Hialeah.
Home Grown

Anonymous said...

I could only hope (sarcasm alert) that the voters & politicians, who I've nicknamed the "hillbilly's of Hudstead" could and would be so engaged in our electoral system.

Yes, Hialeah voters do have a good history of turn out, but sometimes the politicians have a better AB plan which counters what the real voters want!

Anonymous said...

If naturalized citizens are required to demonstrate proficiency in English, why on earth are we printing ballots in Spanish and Creole?

Anonymous said...

I don't know why everyone's complaining I speak both Engkish & Spanish I find it direspectful to come to this country & not learn any English.. I've walked into stores in Hialeah and asked for things in English & people there looked as me in disgust as to why I wasn't speaking in Spanish... It's our United States governments fault for printing things in Spanish or any other language which encourages people from other countries especially Hispanic countries any reason to learn English.... What they say in Hialeah is why do I have to learn English everyone speaks, all literature is in Spanish, government forms, etc..... It's the governments fault there for printing forms in different languages there practically encouraging people it's ok not to learn any English....

Anonymous said...

I suggest you bigots get over the fact that ballots are printed in three languages. this is a nation of immigrants. the only natives are the American Indians and we slaughtered them and pushed them into reservations.
Embrace diversity. This is 2011. Hispanics will soon be the predominant American Citizen. Greater in numbers then any other ethnic group. I suggest you learn their language if you want jobs and if you want them to spend money in your place of business.

Geniusofdespair said...

Absentee ballots should be printed in one language. When you request one you pick the language you want. It is too cumbersome to have 3 languages on one ballot especially for older voters. I discussed this with Lester Sola.