Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Writer Maurice Sendak Died Today ... by gimleteye

Last Sept. 25 we posted the following... and repost now, mourning the loss of Maurice Sendak, who died today:

My children grew up with the books of Maurice Sendak, "Where The Wild Things Are" and "In The Night Kitchen". We read those books together hundreds of times, especially when they couldn't fall to sleep. Sendak's art is part of our lives. Famously reclusive and private, he gives a gift of an interview to Terry Gross and to listeners, of NPR's "Fresh Air" (carried locally on WLRN). It is a revelation and a surprise. This link will re-direct you to listen to the interview online. Do it, today. Even if you never read a Sendak book, you will be glad you did.

8 comments:

Geniusofdespair said...

It was a wonderful interview. It was a poignant look at someone's life winding down.

Anonymous said...

Never knew how old folks felt about friends dying around them.

Now I know.

Sonia said...

Terri Gross didn't quite know what to say to him at the end. She seemed at a loss for words. It was a special interview.

Gimleteye said...

Yes, Terri has given thousands of interviews and it is clear that this one was so special she was at a loss for words. Thanks for adding your voices too.

C.L.J. said...

When I was a young boy, I lived in Connecticut. One day, I was at the doctor's office for my yearly exam, and on the exam room wall, I noticed a Sendak drawing of Max and a few of the Wild Things from the book. Turns out Sendak lived next door to the doctor, and gifted him with several of these drawings. I never met him, but I've always felt kind of connected all the same. More so when I learned that he also designs scenery.

Mitch said...

I did not know he was gay and that he never wanted kids. The interview was interesting, although his butt kissing of Terry Gross at the end was a bit much.

Anonymous said...

His nude boy illustrations in his book In the Night Kitchen were disgusting. I lost all respect for him after he put out that trash.

Harry Emilio Gottlieb said...

Fresh Air Remembers Author Maurice Sendak Interview Audio & Transcript

http://www.npr.org/2012/05/08/152248901/fresh-air-remembers-author-maurice-sendak
AUDIO 45 min 35 sec

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=152248901
Transcript