Thursday, June 09, 2011

Has Pepe Diaz Experienced an Epiphany? By Geniusofdespair

Sometimes when people face death their perception of reality changes. The puzzle pieces suddenly come together and a person sees a larger picture. In some cases a person can become more Jesus-like; kinder, gentler, more tolerant with a respect for all God's creatures. I am hoping Pepe Diaz has found a new perspective, that out of adversity he has found wisdom.

In the scheme of things, the petty rifts at the Calusa Campground are so not worth the effort. Pepe has bigger fish to fry if he is to take his power to do good and actually does meaningful things for the community. Hopefully with a clearer vision of what is important, he can now leave a legacy, let it not be pothole repairs. Maybe his legacy will be protecting the Everglades, saving panther habitat, preserving the water supply for his grandchildren and ours, or helping people live better lives in Liberty or Florida City. This community needs his help. The fawning of developers and lobbyists is not real. Yes, I am sure they sent him flowers and fruit baskets but had he suffered Natacha Seijas' recall fate, he would also similarly be ostracized by them. The powerful segment of the community that worships him for doing their bidding would just as quickly turn their backs on him.

I do wish Pepe Diaz a full recovery from his brain tumor but I also wish him a clearer vision of what is important for Miami Dade County and all its inhabitants (critters, fish and people). I am hoping he will leave the membership of the County Commission's unreformable majority and become a voice of reason. His wheeling and dealing and puppet days are hopefully at an end.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are the definition of the "eternal optimist."

Pepe 2 said...

I don't wish him ill either but his ego is too big to ever let him be humbled.

Anonymous said...

Pepe 2 - I believe you are 100% right, sadly.

As to Pepe le Pew - he's always going to stink no matter how much "clarity" he has for a moment in time!

Anonymous said...

Had he not been recently elected, Pepe Diaz would now be a pariah like Seijas - recalled. He lucked out on that front. He had better reassess his friends, and Norman Braman had better be among them. I don't think he will find Jesus as you predict.

Anonymous said...

While it is nice to think that a positive epiphany would happen, I am inclined to believe that the epiphany would be to the effect of , Oh, no, I only have so much time left so I had better get all I can for my family... if I am dying, who cares if I get caught.

Anonymous said...

Are you kidding? If you listen to the man (I do not wish him ill, I actually know him and harbor no hatred of him) you would know that he already takes credit as a champion of the Everglades and safe drinking water supplies. He is also a champion of the 8.5 Square Mile Area, businesses that are "over-regulated", developers who want to move the UDB and rural land owners who want to be left alone to do whatever they want with their properties. Absolutely talks out of both sides of his mouth, just watch last months Infrastructure and Land Use committee meeting at about the 1 hour mark. First he takes Carlos Espinosa to task over the 8.5 area but then backs off when confronted by Comm. Edmonson and says his comments were meant to say that he wants the landowners to show proof of their claims.

Anonymous said...

At the end of the day, I remember this guy with his grandson sitting on his lap. This guy that I don't agree with on so many issues is a dad, a granddad and a human being. I hope he beats the thing.IF you are sick, this is a good place to find state of the art medicine. We can be grateful for that.

Anonymous said...

Why can't we expect better of him. Because he can juggle a kid in his lap is meaningless to anyone but him the kid and apparently you last anonymous.

Anonymous said...

Another Cuban-American who thinks he is above everybody else. Remember this is the fat ass who had a Metro police officer and county vehicle at his beck and call till the Miami Herald let the cat out of the bag. This guy is a really bad man who at best is stupid or just another Cuban-American political leader who outside of Dade County would never be elected to any office. Remember the two brothers who employed Diaz, and one brother told the Miami Herald a while back that the only reason they hired this fat ass was to keep him honest, while the brothers ended up in jail, to bad Diaz dident get the same treatment as his two friends did.ovent

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Its not a "beck and call", but rather a "beckon call", look it up.

Anonymous said...

Not sure that too many of the readers here know of a man named Lee Atwater. Atwater was a brutal political operative for the Repubs. He was known as a man who went for the throat.

In 1990, he was diagnosed with an inoperative and advanced type of brain cancer. On his death bed, he offered this,

"My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The '80s were about acquiring — acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn't I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn't I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul."

Unfortunately, it takes this sort of thing to push greedy and "stop and nothing to acquire wealth" types to figure it out.

If only all of our elected representatives thought they would die soon. The civic process would be much more efficient.

A crass statement? Yes. The truth? Yes.

Geniusofdespair said...

Awesome. Thank you reader....i looked up a quote of my own:

"My illness has taught me something about the nature of humanity, love, brotherhood and relationships that I never understood, and probably never would have. So, from that standpoint, there is some truth and good in everything."

Lee Atwater

I hope some readers pass this post on to Pepe!