Sunday, June 12, 2011

Can Apple iCloud work? by gimleteye

I am a big Mac fan. I started with the Mac II in 1978 (and wish I still had it, for its antique value). I migrated to Windows and to sewing machine size "portable computers" from Compaq then laptops from Dell. I was haplessly tethered to Microsoft for more than 10 years before abandoning its system crashes and little blue notes to return to Apple, but back I am. I am a full scale, small business adapter of the Apple product universe. That includes the messed up promise of Mobile Me.

From the bits and pieces I've gleaned, iCloud will address a couple of big issues for Apple users. The one that concerns me, most, is sync'ing data between devices. For those who aren't heavy computer users, it might seem a mundane concern. But over years, my data has grown to gigabytes and issues of managing files and documents and folders on different devices have become a major headache. Mobile Me, the cloud service from Apple tied to its iDisk feature was supposed to address merging and sync'ing and all that. It sort of does and doesn't, and that is leading to a Microsoft style frustration for this humble user. Apple founder Steve Jobs as much as acknowledged this, the other day, when he unrolled a new OS and iCloud.

I'm sure the new OS will be cool. What I really care about is iCloud. Thanks to the cool devices that Apple rolls out with astonishing regularity, I don't even begrudge the company for tying me to its place as a sole provider (unlike cell carriers like ATT that make me furious).

On the new OS, I have no doubts. But on iCloud, can Apple deliver? I wonder if the wireless, storage and retrieval and delivery capacities are big enough to handle what will amount to the biggest data tsunami in history, once iCloud rolls. I dread the chance that files and folders will get scrambled. I fear wireless being slowed or interrupted by server overloads.

If Apple can make iCloud work seamlessly, then its continuous stream of income from dedicated users who are always trading up into the next device will continue. But if iCloud dissipates? I don't know what it would take for me to go backwards: to Microsoft. If I buy into iCloud, the way I have with Mobile Me, and iCloud doesn't work? -- all bets are off.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you tried dropbox? I love it. I use both pc and Mac due to my biz and dropbox has been a great solution for personal and biz use. BTW, I enjoy reading your posts. Annette Taddeo

Geniusofdespair said...

Hi Annette!

Gimleteye: I am a MAC since the 70's as well. I don't know what this all means. I just turn on the computer and the phone in the morning and hope it all works. I say a little prayer that I don't see the bomb or a blue screen when it takes too long for my computer to load. I have 4 computers (including a windows). Rather than keep up with operating systems, I buy a new computers. I just bought this one less than a year ago so I am having a cow. I have had to download a meshing program to get my graphic programs to work on the last operating system. My computer is unstable now in these programs, freezing a lot. What will happen now? Woe is me.

Geniusofdespair said...

Correction: I have 5 computers. 4 MACs and 1 piece of shit Dell.

Jswcat said...

Running Lion & iOS 5 on MacBook Air & iPhone 4. Everything running smoothly and iCloud with the built in app will too. Lion online in July,iOS 5 will be available in fall.

Luke Carlos said...

Apple doesn't have a choice, they must make this work. They are not making ground breaking announcements here, they are announcing that Google and whole bunch of other companies are ahead of them to the next level.

The one advantage they have is a small loyal customer base. They're going to need it, because this is catch up time for Apple.

What happens when Steve Jobs really does retire and is no longer around to point out the obvious to the Apple's executives?

Anonymous said...

But when 10 million users sign on at once??

Jswcat said...

Apple has a 500,000 sq.ft. storage/server building in N.C. with another 500,000 sq.ft. building on the way. Build it and they will come. I doubt that they will have a money issue in the near future for what they need to make this successful.

Anonymous said...

Apple has one of the biggest market caps in all of corporate America & they take big margins on everything! I shutter to think of the wrath you would give to Apple if Steve Jobs was a committed Christian. Thankfully, he is a peaceful Buddhist with a penchant for greed. (Why would he charge a premium for all his products if this humble Buddist was not greedy?).

Apple has done a beautiful PR job! If only Exxon-Mobile(me) could take a lesson. They could have you singing their praises as well.