Monday, February 28, 2011

Slammed by Aetna Health Insurance: who says we don't need health care reform? by gimleteye

I had a curious experience last week, contesting a health care bill for a CAT scan. My policy with Aetna covers my family. I'm an individual buyer; in other words I don't benefit from buying within a pool like a business or government. I pay close to $1000 per month, with a $5000 deductible. I've never needed-- until recently-- to spend on health care more than the small fortune it costs to insure my family from catastrophe.

Recently I discovered the need for a small procedure, a hernia repair. After a round of calls to find a provider qualified by Aetna, I matched up with a doctor at Jackson and began an uncomfortable round of visits. My doctor ordered a CAT scan. I didn't ask how much it would cost. I had other things to worry about, like my health and believed the cost would be covered or I would owe a reasonable expense. What I discovered was a shock. (click, 'read more')

The bill from Jackson for the CAT scan was $7000. My jaw dropped. Below the line, there was a debit of $3500. It was called a "contract adjustment". Whatever that means, it left me holding a bill for about $3500. I made several phone calls to Jackson to attempt to discuss the bill. It took me more than an hour to find a living person, who claimed to have no direct knowledge how to contest a bill, but finally directed me to a mail address for my outraged "to whom it may concern" letter. A month passed, and still no response.

In the meantime I also called Aetna. That also took more than an hour to obtain a living person with a passing knowledge of how to register a complaint. A few weeks after my phone call to Aetna, a letter arrived by mail notifying me of a time and date for my "Level Two Appeal" conference call. Three phone calls later, I was able to verify the call-in number.

At the appointed time, last week, I had my phone call with Aetna. In addition to the call moderator, there were three other Aetna employees on the call. The call moderator quickly introduced the Aetna participants. She said, after the call within seven to ten business days I would receive a letter informing me of the committee's decision regarding my appeal. I asked for a phone number and name I could call, to follow up. The moderator refused to give me any phone numbers or even to repeat the names of the people on the call. She told me, if you have a question later you can call the 800 number for individual service. I explained that I really wanted someone I could speak with. So much, for that.

I laid out my case to Aetna: that I needed the CAT scan, it was ordered by an Aetna qualified physician at Jackson, that I had never asked before hand what the cost would be, but that I never expected it would be $7000 and $3500 out of pocket or I would have checked other CAT scan imaging services. In fact, after receiving the bill, I did check around and discovered I could have had the CAT scan performed for $250. There was a silence at the end of the line.

The moderator asked me, "Why didn't you try to find a lower cost provider before getting the CAT scan?" I was shocked. "Um," I answered, "I was actually focused on not feeling well. I was relieved I was seeing a doctor who was an Aetna provider and I assumed that Aetna, my health insurance company, was using the same skill set to qualify imaging costs for a CAT scan as it did to qualify its contractual terms with doctors." Silence. When the moderator responded, it was along the lines that I was at fault. In other words, I should not only pay $1000 a month, and be certain that any health care provider is inside the Aetna network, but I should not also assume that I will have a reasonable charge for imaging or testing even if the services are provided within the same facility or hospital as the doctor.

Later, I wondered how I could be at fault when I have paid nearly $12,000 annually for health insurance, over many years for which I have drawn no benefits. And I wonder how it is even possible to have to cough up another $3500 or $7000 for a CAT scan. There are nearly 80 million CAT scans in the United States per year. I know that this exorbitant bill is how the health care system manages to cope with the enormous number of Americans who cannot afford any of the medical services they need. But if everyone who received a CAT scan DID pay their $3500 bill (I assume I haven't been singled out, just because I'm a good credit risk), then the fully assessed value of CAT scans alone in the United States adds up to more than $30 trillion. I lost track of reality, or am I bad at arithmetic or is the health care system that the Tea Party rails against, insane, or is it the Tea Party'ers who have lost their minds.

I am waiting for the response to my "Level Two Appeal" and, naturally, instructions should I care to push the appeal further up the Aetna food chain. I would invite any member of Congress-- who have the privilege of a health care plan that is gold plated in comparison --to try out Aetna; and I don't mean by taking campaign contributions from the insurance industry.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aetna sucks. Everyone should cancel their policies with these jerks so they go under. Members of Congress need to be enrolled with these lowlifes so they can see the bullshit their constituents go through. NO wonder JMH is going under who is gonna pay that ridiculous bill. Tell those a...holes at Aetna they should advise their policyholders what they will pay for a given test so you will know what is considered "reasonable" if there is such a thing. Don't let them push you around.

wtf is up with medical care in this country. Do we need to establish residency in Canada to get affordable healthcare?

Geniusofdespair said...

May I suggest you go back in your post and write Aetna sucks a few times -- that way others with gripes about Aetna will easily find your post in a google search. You could even add it as a subhead.

Geniusofdespair said...

If you don't want surprises...pay for full coverage like me --- $1,900 a month for ONE person. Americans who hate the Heath care bill are out of their minds or are already sitting home comfortably using Medicaid and Medicare.

youbetcha' said...

Avmed isn't any better. I wrote about them over a year ago, about them not paying for my Blood Pressure meds. They still aren't.

And they just came back and unpaid the charge for a bone scan. That was paid back in July. UNPAID!!!! Now Baptist is after me.

CATO said...

Glad your feeling better Gimspierre.

CAVEAT EMPTOR

Aetna and Jackson both suck.
If someone is offering CAT Scans for $250 then the solution healthcare is not a 1,000 plus page monster of a bill but its simply having providers of medical services post prices and disclose them.

Kicking all the lobbyist out of DC, Tally and County Hall would also help.

Anonymous said...

The best solution is to wait this out until 2014 when the bulk of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA) kicks in.

My plan is quite simple, drop my health insurance all together, pay the $800 IRS fine for not obeying the new federal government individual mandate to buy health insurance.

If and when I do become ill, I will go to one of the remaining insurance providers and buy a policy.

By this time and according to PPACA, health insurance companies will be obligated by law to provide insurance for pre-existing conditions, and they will have to cover me.

CATO said...

And they will have either ceased to exist or charge you $10K a month (to cover everyone who's doing what you are) so you'll end up on medicare or medicaid where a bureaucrat will determine when and what treatment you will receive, thats if they still have any funds available.

I am amazed at how otherwise bright people have no economic sense.

I'll just go to the vet.

Anonymous said...

Ditto for Cigna. Since the baggers are all on medicare, they could care less about your problems.

nevernot said...

After getting hit by a car in NOV (i was not at fault) I was taken to the emergency room. I procured a lawyer the next day who sent notice to Aetna that the accident occurred and to forward all bills to the drivers insurance company. Here we are three months later and I've received 14 harassing letters, 6 "contractual adjustments", and numerous calls to my place of work. They know where to send the bills, and have sent roughly half od them to the correct place yet one dept seems to not speak with another. No one on customer support offers any assistance other than to transfer me to collections. Screw Aetna, bunch of incompetent boobs.

Anonymous said...

Get rid of AETNA and every other profiteering private health insurance provider. A single payer that rolls everyone under Medicare would prove what Canada already knows; a single payer sustem would be monumentally less expernsive (Medicare's overhear is 4%, while your typical private insurer is in the 20% range), provide quality universal converage (ask any Medicare recipient if they are happy or would rather face the private market), and provide better health outcomes (compare US vs. Canada...or any other industrialized country).

Cheaper, universal, and better health care leading to a healthier country. Seems like a no-brainer to me!

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately the no-brainers are in control of Tallahassee and the US House of Representatives. It is a Confederacy of Dunces.

Anonymous said...

Cato - I thought the whole concept of Obamacare was to regulate insurance companies to save the consumer money and prevent denial of coverage. If an uninsured person with a pre-existing medical condition seeks coverage he surely would not be gouged. The Department of Health & Human Services will have insurance companies on a short leash so these things would not happen.

CATO said...

The Road to Hell....

No one will argue that the current system totally sucks BUT common sense tells me that if their aren't fundemental changes not addressed by president Obama's healthcare plan (don't want to be disrespectful), his plan will only serve to make healthcare more expensive and scarce. The laws of economics much like those of physics can't be defied.

Don't take my word for it ask Alan Greenspan or Robert Mugabe.

Anonymous said...

CATO, what makes the economics of health reform work is the (hated) individual mandate. The basic agreement (a free-market, conservative idea originally promoted by the Heritage Foundation and Mitt Romney) was that in return for consumer health protections, individual insurers would get tens-of-millions new customers (the previously uninsured). Private insureres get more buyers who would off-set the sicker people they'd have to cover. That's the deal and it seems to be working in Mass.

Anonymous said...

Good news from the Affordable Heathcare Act: Each state was sent a million dollars to set up a database so we can compare prices and how the companies spend our money. Bad news from Tallahassee: Scott sent the money back. No database for Florida.

If the Affordable Healthcare Act was Civil Rights, the Feds would send in the National Guard!

Anonymous said...

My first thought is if individual insurers get "tens-of-millions" of new customers through the mandate then we have that many more patients entering into a healthcare system with the current amount of doctors, nurses and hospitals. This will either create more demand thus raising costs, or healthcare rationing will take place with the government making the decisions.

Not a very pleasant scenario!

Steven in Miami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

The amazing thing is that Jackson charges $7k to people who come in off the street...you know, the people who don't end up actually paying anything. This way they can say they have these enormous uncollected receivables which are based on bogus billing.

Anonymous said...

Aetna thru Ball Aerospace was responsible for having my disability and my insurance health coverage dropped and also was responsible for having me "involuntarily terminated" from my job because of their "over the phone" examination. I was terminated from my position at Ball Aerospace while I was on disability leave and was at the time considered an full time employee. Aetna is the worst insurance that I know of and hides behind Ball Aerospace in its excuses for not providing coverage and also for their involvement in terminating me for getting sick. Because of my health issues I believe Ball Aerospace along with Aetna hope I die before any of this gets resolved which is the same as murder. If you get sick while at Ball Aerospace expect to die if it is serious its what Ball Aerospace and Aetna want....