Friday, October 29, 2010

Nightmare at Coral Reef Library. Guest blog by Bugged-in-Palmetto Bay

Yesterday will be the last day that I ever physically go to the polls to vote again. All future elections I will be requesting an absentee ballot so I never have to face the obnoxious people and politicians who purport to represent me.

I showed up at the Coral Reef library for early voting on Sunday around 2 pm figuring it wouldn’t be crowded because of the Dolphin game. I couldn’t believe the mess of signs on the front lawn. What a waste; they were so close together I couldn’t read them anyway. I hope they recycle them. No big deal.

But the moment I stepped out of my car, some twenty-something year old girl comes running up to me. “Are you from Palmetto Bay? ” she asked. Not realizing what I was getting into, I said yes. “We got one here” she then yelled to the entire crowd of campaign workers. She was wearing a Katie Edwards shirt and I told her I wasn’t in that district. She then tried walking me over to the Republican candidate in my district who I had no interest in meeting (I thought Edwards was a Dem.). Then I was 'herded' to "meet the next mayor"(I didn't vote for 'him.' I hope 'he' won't be my next mayor). A group of people running for mayor/council//dogcatcher, whatever, then surrounded me and literally blocked my path across the parking lot to the entrance. As I tried maneuvering my way around everyone to get to the sidewalk all sorts of people kept shouting candidate names at me, thrusting cards and papers in my face. There was someone there ringing a cowbell about 2 feet from my ear. (I learned on the way out it was a campaign worker for Linda Bell; real creative; I felt like taking that cowbell and...never mind.) Hit read more...

It was one of the most annoying and unpleasant experiences I have had in a long time. I can’t believe that some of the Palmetto Bay candidates were involved in this and those that were should be ashamed. I don’t know whether these ‘workers’ are paid, or volunteers, friends, family, etc. but they were all rude and obnoxious. I can’t wait to order my absentee ballot next time around.

I know this sounds silly, but since I was 18, (can't say how many years ago that was; I don't feel this old), I have enjoyed going to vote, being in that big room with all the machines, the senior citizen poll workers and feeling good when I got to turn my ballot over. I wonder if I'll get the same feeling putting a stamp on the envelope? Thanks for allowing me to vent.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100% we need some integrity at the polls. I am volunteering on a campaign and worked a poll and was shocked by the behavior of the paid workers. Also, the blatant disregard for the law where the signs were placed on the streets surrounding the poll. It is embarassing, as Americans we should be able to go vote with some dignity.

Anonymous said...

As Americans they also have the right to express themselves. Don’t be so dramatic guys. Seriously.

I voted and tuned out the crud said...

Sign clutter is nuts. So make a law that each candidate can have one sign at each polling place entrance.

However, campaigns are true economic stimulation at work... elections campaigns turn collect and turn money around to small business and people in a short matter.

I don't think anyone wants to be intimidating or threatening, at least in South Dade. Maybe other areas of the county, where voting traditions may be different, the poll workers seem more aggressive. Actually, hired poll workers get on the job training and unfortunately when they are taught aggressively, they act that way.

You sometimes feel you have to jump up and down for attention to overcome the dimwits ringing bells and shouting like circus barkers.

By the way, nothing beats voting at your precinct and meeting your neighbors to catch up on the latest life news while you stand in line. I always vote on election day.

Anonymous said...

Because someone has a right to do something doesn't mean they should. And, people should be able to express their views without you minimizing their grief last anonymous.

Geniusofdespair said...

It is my opinion that few people change their mind at the polls unless some cash changes hands. Actually I was once going to vote for a candidate but because of her rudeness at the polls, I didn't. That is the only time I did a last minute switch.

Anonymous said...

At least for me, silence seemed to keep everyone at bay. I ignored the people that asked if I was there for early voting. I ignored the people that tried to hand me some paper. I ignored the people that said "good morning." :)
Once I got through everyone, I heard a voice complain about how rude I was. :D For some reason, they don't think what they're doing is rude.

Don't fret. Just walk ahead in silence. Maybe you can bring some headphones.

Anonymous said...

I'm a volunteer poll worker. I try to stay as polite as possible and ask if someone is at the poll to vote, if they say yes, I ask what district. Plain and simple. I can also read when someone doesn't want to be bothered, so I don't bother them.

However, I have watched very aggressive paid poll workers. They are a little too much for me. I can tell it irritates most voters, some are appreciative when they're spoken to, most are not.

If there's a better way to work these polls and get a candidates information to a voter, I'm all ears!

As I said, I volunteer and am not the least bit aggressive, nor do I run to a voter, I wait for them to approach.

Anonymous said...

What is hilarious is that you think this matters.

Look closely at the margins of victory in the primaries. Then look at the numbers of absentee ballots. Then do the same Wednesday morning.

The folks who manage the wholesale fraud with ABs are deciding these elections. You know their names because you have seen them excoriated on blogs like this one. They laugh at your scorn. And they go on collecting ABs by the bin-load.

They think it's just adorable that you go to and vote. They think it's hilarious when you volunteer. They are grateful you make contributions that they then collect as fees from the candidates so they can employ paid poll workers not reliable enough to be boleteros to hold signs and hand out cards at the polling places.

Perfect vertical integration, perfect farce.