Saturday, September 26, 2009

Greynolds Park is over-run with Iguanas. By Geniusofdespair

Beware, this video will give you nightmares (about the iguanas... but also the guy who has 15 hungry iguanas living in his bathroom) you can skip to 2:00 on the counter if pressed for time:

I took a walk in the park and the damn iguanas were jumping out of trees. I didn't want one landing on my head so I left the park. I don't think I will go back to Greynolds. A worker at the park said there have been a lot of hawks in the park and they are eating the iguanas...not enough for me. We cut funding to County Parks so expect all hell will break loose with exotics. The guy also told me there is a carnivorous species of iguana among the 5 iguana species that are in the park.

If you look up in the trees at Greynolds, the critters go all the way up to the top. The one in this bad photo is the only one you can see. I saw one 2 feet long crawl up pretty high -- imagine that falling on your head if he is trying to dodge a hawk!


10 comments:

CB said...

Well maybe the recession will get bad enough that people start hunting them for meat. Send in the poor!

the jolly antichrist said...

Only eat the tails . . .

Anonymous said...

While in Curacao have Caribbean style iguana stew. Prepared just as you would imagine, the dish is a favorite of locals (who say the meat greatly resembles chicken), though it often takes an adventurous tourist to have a taste.

MENSA said...

They sit all over my back yard. Some as big as four feet long and some very fat-probably with more babies that seem to flood the entire area. I do not want to kill them, yet. So I chase them. but then they only go to annoy my neighbors. I tried pushing them into the water, only to find that they not only love the water but can swim for many, many minutes under water. Any advice will be appreciated. I have managed to keep them out of the flowers, but they do poop all over and that is my only complaint.

The North Coast said...

Too bad you can't bring them up here and sell them as pets. Are you allowed to export them? Have you contacted the pet stores?

People still love them- they don't eat nearly as much as a dog or cat, and tame easily.

Anonymous said...

When (and if) it gets cold, they are stunned into stillness. That's the best time to catch them. Then ...I don't know. The biologist at one state park used to decapitate them and then send their heads to a research center.

Geniusofdespair said...

It sounds like we should send them to Chicago..

South Florida Lawyers said...

It's unbelievable. I was there recently and it was like out of a horror movie, where all the iguanas start gathering and you note it but casually dismiss it, and then they eat your dog right in front of you....

Anonymous said...

Get a bigger dog. If you have one of those "Paris Hilton" dogs, you deserve for it to be eaten by an iguana.

m

Tony Garcia said...

Funny thing about your photo is the Australian pine in the foreground. Invasive trees, invasive animals...blech.