Friday, July 24, 2009

President Obama: props to you ... by gimleteye

Having ignited a controversy he didn't need, President Obama picked up the phone and called the Cambridge Ma. police officer who may have "acted stupidly" but did not necessarily warrant censure by a president about the arrest of one of America's most prominent African American intellectuals, Henry Louis Gates, at his home. The question, raised during a televised press conference, seemed to come from left field.

I watched the whole press conference including the offensive segment that for a moment overshadowed the critically important issue of healthcare reform. My overall sense from what I saw and heard is that Barack Obama is the most cogent, intelligent president in my lifetime. (President Clinton had a command of fact and detail, but one sensed that Clinton was often grandstanding. I don't get that with President Obama at all.)

I was impressed actually with how the president broke down the Gates arrest story. And my eyebrows raised on the "act stupidly" comment, too. But I think that the way the president has handled it-- picking up the phone and calling the Boston policeman was absolutely the best response. Obama is in the presidential bubble. He is doing something-- in his press conferences and public speaking-- that we never saw once during the terms of W.: he is explaining and breaking down enormously complex policy issues and challenges facing the nation, of the cuff, for a nation that is unaccustomed to being treated as adults by the commander in chief. I don't like all of what Obama's team has done and is doing-- I've seen enough of Larry Summers for a lifetime-- but I have to give Obama props. He didn't do such a bad job on the Gates arrest breakdown given the published reports: he was man enough to venture opinions about racial tensions in a way that only he can do because he is the first African American president.

Anyhow, my view is that he is the right person for the job and calling Sargeant Crowley from the Cambridge Police Department was an impressive way of handling the controversy. Now, if we can all just agree that the costs of healthcare are bankrupting us and the nation, and that the status quo is unacceptable. Get back to the healthcare reform NOW!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have to agree - only because he has proven that he has the courage to reach out to the people personally that he publicly reprimands. Most politicians avoid the personal portion.

Anonymous said...

I would have liked the President reach out to the family of the U.S. Marine who was killed at a recruitment center by a Muslim whack job. Phony, just like Sharpton with Tawana Brawley. Legitimate report of two guys breaking into Professor Gates home. This race card stuff and Obama are wearing thin six months in.

Anonymous said...

Nice post. Good points!!!
Thanksss
Gerling at www.mayoreo.com

Geniusofdespair said...

I listened to the press conference while writing my net worth blog...so I can't say I was totally listening. However, I don't get the health care plan - still too confusing. I did hear the stupid comment and said to myself "sounds like something I would say." I also marvel on how smart Obama is compared to the last one...it is a dream come true.

Anonymous said...

After reading this commentary, I'm lighting another candle for "the chosen one". Obama is as infallible as the Pope!

miaexile said...

The President is going to make mistakes. Proves he's human like us. Cops can act like assholes but so can Harvard professors. It does spark conversation which is indeed something we need more of in this country. Real conversation, not talk radio and not talk tv.