Monday, July 06, 2009

The Miami Herald: Neutral reporting? By Geniusofdespair

These Beth Reinhard introductions, in the Miami Herald, to the two main contenders for the City of Miami Mayor post did not seem neutral at all. Calling Diaz’s plans “grand” and “controversial” and pointing out Sanchez supported them, seemed to tilt the scales to Regalado in my reading:

“Sanchez, a 44-year-old photogenic ex-cop who sometimes croons Spanish-language ballads at campaign events, is best known for championing Diaz's grand -- and controversial -- plans such as the stadium, a citywide zoning overhaul and new high-rises. Regalado is the 62-year-old dean of the commission and chief naysayer who touts his thorn-in-the-side, perfect attendance at meetings.” Score one for Tomascito.

5 comments:

Cato said...

Funny I saw it diffrent, I saw it favoring Sanchez especially as they describe "New Construction jobs" at Marlin's Stadium site.
I moved out of Miami (property taxes in the grove were murder)but I would lean slightly to TR. Joe's a nice person, but his ties with the current administration (and they are real) plus his ardent support of Marlin's Deal (Deal for the Marlin's Raw Deal for taxpayers) sour me on him.

Anonymous said...

I thought it favored Sanchez.

Anonymous said...

EOM: where making grand plans is a strike against you. You guys WOULD vote for Regalado, the dunce who hasn't done a single thing as a Commissioner except show up. That's exactly what this city doesn't need in these slow economic times. Plus Regalado has perfected the role of "I have no ideas so elect me and then lobby me" which is the root cause of the corruption this blog pretends to fight against. IJR

Geniusofdespair said...

Where does it say I would vote for either Regalado or Sanchez...I just believed the reporter was bias in subtle ways towards Regalado -- score one for Regalado meant: He won on that particular article. And as you can see above, a reader disagreed and believed the opposite. At least that reader GOT the post.

Cato said...

Joe's (Sanchez) got ideas alright but none of them benefit City of Miami taxpayers. His comments and votes in favor of the Marlin's Stadium speaks for itself. Regalado's inaction would be in line with what Thomas Jefferson said "Governments which govern least govern best."
Unlike the Herald article Genius has seemed impartial thus far on this one.