Thursday, May 28, 2009

Miami’s Schmatta Row: Northwest 20th Street. By Geniusofdespair


In Allapattah, along N.W. 20th Street, we have Miami’s version of Hallandale Beach’s Schmatta Row, which was popular for dress shopping in the 70’s and 80’s. Schmatta is a yiddish word for “rag” representing a real comfy item.

There is one clothing store after another on NW 20th Street with bargains galore on glorious, odd clothing displayed, in some cases, in boxes on the floor. Much of the fashions were brightly colored and sparkly with sequins, studs and silver and gold embellishment. Speaking of gold, there was a lot of gold-filled big jewelry. I found some Indian cotton duds that I actually liked, after going in about 25 stores. They didn’t bargain, the price was the price for me. Maybe I look like a mark. If you are looking for reasonably priced Guayabera shirt, this is a place to check out, also if you need hanging men's shorts: get them here.

More photos (hit on photos to enlarge them):





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

New shopping area, new styles, same outcome.....everyone loves a bargain!! I remember Hallandale's "Schmatta Row" from the 70's. This article brought me back there. I enjoyed the "trip".