Sunday, January 18, 2009

Polluted Panama; Bocas del Toro pollution continues and no response from government ... by gimleteye


Last fall, eyeonmiami.blogspot.com wrote about the nastiest ocean dumping I'd ever seen: a municipal waste dump spilling directly into a pristine surf break on Panama's Bocas del Toro, an island whose economy heavily relies on promoting ecology.

I visited Bocas to surf, a year ago. I had planned another trip with my family this year but was waiting for a response from authorities I had tried to contact about the unfolding environmental disaster. I received no response. A recent reader told me everything I need to know:

"DECEMBER 30, 2008
CM said...
I have been surfing bocas for the last 2 weeks, one of which was about a 1000 feet from the dump. This is one of the worst things I have ever seen. Even surfing at Isla Carenero, you can see and smell the burning waste of the dump while you surfing. I surfed the wave in front of it, "inner dumpers" I was the only person out and got some of the best waves of my life. It is much much worse than the pictures that you see here in one of the most beautiful areas of beach and coast I have ever seen."

Yuck! I'll spend my money elsewhere, thank you very much, Panama. The January 2009 online edition of Bocas Breeze is filled with news about November's record flooding on the island. Inevitably, the flood pushed a wall of toxics from the municipal into the ocean surf. Shame on Panama!

The Bocas Breeze "... has been told that the dump will be moved, according to a contract signed by the Municipio, before Feb. 18, 2009. As this January issue was going to press, no progress has been made, which means the dump has gotten larger and the problem worse."

What a disaster for Panama's public image. The nation champions its "ecological" heritage and attracts foreign dollars and investment at places like Bocas; its municipal dump on the ocean at Bocas is an international disgrace.

Register your complaints at this website please! Click here.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The website is in Spanish, so what you need to put in is a name (nombre), telephone (telefono; I didn't put an active account), email, country (Pais). You type your comments in the large box labeled Comentario and click Enviar (send) under it.

Sent this morning: _____________________________
Dear International Friends:

As a child I visited Panama many times. I am so sorry that your country allowed pollution one of the loveliest beaches in the country.

Bocas del Toro and Isla Carenero were beautiful and charming areas. And now, they smell like garbage. That is sad for your people and for the health of all of us who would visit or live there.

I cannot imagine swimming or visiting there now.

Sincerely,