Tuesday, December 02, 2008

I Went to See the Lobby of the Fontainebleau Hotel. By Geniusofdespair

The Fontainebleau was just unveiled from a staggering $1 billion dollar renovation (they call it a reinvention).

The hotel has a very annoying website...I couldn’t pull one decent photo from it. I quickly lost patience with the site. The video didn’t work well on my computer. I found this picture on line, except the chandeliers in the lobby didn’t look like these, there must have been a change of plans. They had 3 mega big chandeliers, not modern or round like this photo. The bowtie marble floor (original Morris Lapidus design) was very interesting the way it curved around the lobby but the black and white did give the space a sterile 50's look. I am not one for noisy lobbies and this was one. They had an open bar in the center of it with blaring music and colored lights. The lobby is a space you should see, drive to Miami Beach and look at the Fontaineblueau yourself. Go hungry, the steaks are only about $75.

I think they did a good thing trying to maintain the original design as much as possible yet updating it.

My nephew just sent me two CD's by Haawiian Superstar Israel Kamakawiwo’ole so I have to stop to concentrate on the music. Don’t ask, however, I am touched by the gift. Actually there are 3 or 4 very nice songs that I guarantee you will never hear at the Fontainebleau.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

IZ - as he is known - never sounded better, Somewhere over the rainbow and It's a wonderful world are the BEST!