Saturday, December 27, 2008

Experiencing “The Thrill of Adulation.” By Geniusofdespair

I am reading the book, “Sins of South Beach” (the true story of corruption, violence and the making of Miami Beach) by disgraced Miami Beach three-time Mayor, Alex Daoud. I am only on chapter two. The writing is stilted (looks whose talking) but I am finding it fascinating. He talks about arriving at a professional tennis match after his recent election. He said:

“When I entered, the crowd applauded me....for the first time in my life, I knew the thrill of adulation.”

I am telling you, adulation must be like a drug to these politicians. And the developers/lobbyists/lawyers know just how to dispense it. I am 52 pages into the book, Daoud has only been a Commissioner for a few weeks, and he is already trading favors and promising votes for the favors. Until I get further, to where he talks about his first Cousin Lobbyist Chris Korge, check out this vintage story in Miami New Times about Daoud. He said of his book: "I just wanted to write the real story. The real story of politics never gets out."

No comments: