Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Elena Carpenter's "Miami Monthly" by Geniusofdespair

Over and over I think to myself while reading it, during the past six months, that Elena Carpenter’s “Miami Monthly” magazine has great graphic design. I don’t know if Art Director M. Oswaldo Lozano should get the credit but someone should. I just thought I would mention it here, that I am impressed. Good graphics make for easy reading.

I also like the "City Watch" Section. It is a handy guide on what is happening throughout the county. I have often suggested the Miami Herald do the same. Granted it is probably edited press releases but I still read it. The DeFede column: It has been subdued over the past few months, I am looking for more biting subject matter from this master reporter.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard this magazine is in trouble financially.

Anonymous said...

Yes, DeFede's article on Mayor Carlos Alvarez did seem to lack his usual punch. Maybe he has a tough editor over there.

Anonymous said...

You're right about the graphics, but I think the entire magazine rocks. Maybe all the staff deserves some credit. It can't be easy in this bleak market.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Genius - appreciate your comments. We try to get better every month.
Citywatch is compiled by our in house reporter, who attends many and sundry commissions, councils, boards and civic meetings.
BTW - our deal with DeFede is to not restrain or edit.
And as to the anonymous one above that says we're in financial trouble, I can only question his motivation.
We're not swiming in money, the market sucks, but as a number of magazines have died, and the Herald has laid off hundreds, we ran an employment ad in this current issue. Thanks to our loyal readership, we are staying alive.
And you do have the most intelligent blog in Miami -thanks for your hard work, too.
best,
Elena V. Carpenter
Publisher
Miami Monthly
publisher@miamimonthlymagazine.com

Geniusofdespair said...

Appreciate the kind words on our blog Elena. Keep up the good work and thanks for clearing up questions posed in my blog.