Monday, August 18, 2008

Watch Out On Joining Facebook. By Geniusofdespair

Someone invited me to become their “friend” on my “Facebook” over the weekend. I said to myself, okay what is the harm? I said I would be their friend. Well, to be their friend I had to set up a page. Now, I was more skeptical but I was bored, so I set up a page. I lied about my age and guess what happened this morning? I am getting emails about colleges.

I guess I went too far with the age thing, but now I know what “Facebook” is really about: People selling you stuff. Damn, the last thing I need is more emails.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We must have the same friend. I got an invite too.

Anonymous said...

You shouldn't be getting emails from anyone but the Facebook system.

Check out your privacy settings.

Geniusofdespair said...

I changed my settings, thanks.

Jorge A. Picaza said...

I'm a long-time Facebook user who never has any of these types of issues. The secret is... severely limit the amount of applications/boxes that you install within your Facebook account. The applications access your personal data and, once it hits the net, there's no stopping it.

For more on Facebook "hacking" read
http://www.new.facebook.com/share_redirect.php?h=d1bc433a87ecfd11b259fccfa828d5c7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblogs.usatoday.com%2Ftechnologylive%2F2008%2F08%2Fhackers-infiltr.html&sid=21074919889

Geniusofdespair said...

thanks george you are a gentleman to take the time to share the info...

Jorge A. Picaza said...

No Problem. I just thought I'd defend Facebook since it's brought me together with so many long-lost friends. I opened my account when MySpace pages began taking several minutes to load due to overwhelming amounts of graphics, music, data, etc... Unfortunately, Facebook may soon go this route as well.