Sunday, July 13, 2008

Propaganda in Public Spaces is Spawning Knuckleheads. by Geniusofdespair

I was at Mercy Hospital in Ft. Lauderdale because my mother-in-law fell. It was about 10:00 pm and I was engrossed in an unmanageable Sudoku puzzle.

In the background I heard some shrill TV reporter interviewing a Miami Herald reporter. She kept hammering on him trying to get him to say his answer her way and he clearly was not going to say the words she was handing him. The exchange went on...and on. She finally gave up. Then she started on Obama. I turned to my spouse and asked: “What is wrong with that reporter, she is badgering everyone?” The answer: “This is FOX News, that is Greta Van Susteren.”

Oh, my God! Is that really what Fox News was like? I was aghast. It was sort of like watching a train wreck: You want to look away but you just can’t. I could either go in the room and listen to my mother-in-law whine or sit in the waiting room. I chose the waiting room. Forced to sit in the room with toothpicks holding my eyelids open — even cynical me was astounded by the biased content. It was either sling mud or lob innuendo at Obama for hours. Question after question were asked in a way to undermine Obama, like: “He doesn’t really have any experience with foreign policy, is he just a good orator?” What? That’s a question?

After being irritated by this station for a couple of hours...
I started complaining to whomever would listen. By midnight I got the woman in charge, who happened to be African American. I told her I found the TV Station offensive. She said: “It is a news station.” I corrected her and said: “No, it is a propaganda station. They are a slam Obama station.” She didn’t care really. She said that they have one channel on all the time and they can’t change it. I mumbled something like you might be changing votes here in your waiting room, don’t you care? And, after looking at the people in the waiting room, I think they might have been persuaded somewhat. She said "People have to have more sense than let a TV Station change their vote."

So, as I watched all the glassy-eyed people watching Fox news, I suddenly remembered Macy’s, they had a TV there tuned to Fox news, and the Health Food Restaurant, Juice & Java – tuned to Fox, the health club and at a bar before a game: all Fox. Is it a conspiracy? Is Aussie Rupert Murdoch indoctrinating people in the U.S. with propaganda news, taking our home-grown morons and turning them into an army of knuckleheads?

Where have you been where Fox News shouldn’t have been tuned in? Let's blow the cover off this!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

health club.

Anonymous said...

I suppose I never have seen FOX because I have tunnel vision. Thanks for the laugh. I hope your mother-in-law is okay.

Geniusofdespair said...

She is fine, thanks for asking, but super bitchy because she is sore from falling.

The Plant Man said...

my dentist (bedall in South Miami) always has it blasting.

Anonymous said...

Bank of America on Bird and Ludlam...they have little tv's behind the tellers.

Anonymous said...

Fox is the only fair and balanced network.

moderate

Geniusofdespair said...

Okay Moderate, you are now either out of your mind or you are joking with us....